Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

My friend just noticed a new large spot in his blue iris. I

My friend just noticed a new large brown spot in his blue iris. I have a picture of it. Is this something to be concerned about?

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat about your friend?
Dr. Tom : The indicator shows that you are standing by. If you will send a quick reply will get started.
Customer:

yes

Customer:

I can chat about my friend

Dr. Tom : Great, if you can attach your photograph I will be happy to take a look and give you an opinion. Can you do that?
Customer:

I am having trouble uploading the file

Customer:

I have attached 2 images as an edit to the original chat

Dr. Tom :

OK....got it...give me a minute to type a reply

Customer:

ok

Dr. Tom :

The picture appears to be an iris nevus. Your friend has a very low risk for this being a cancerous nevus, and this is not an emergency, but he should have a complete examination by an ophthalmologist. We document the nevus with more photographs, and some other in the office scans. Then it's just a matter a matter of follow-ups. The eye-MD will examine the nevus with a high magnification microscope as part of the exam. Only with that type of an exam can the details of the nevus be seen clearly enough to give any more information about its' potential. Does this help with your question and concern?

Customer:

Yes - He has been dealing with thyoid issues for the last couple of years. Couple that be related?

Dr. Tom :

No, thyroid eye disease does not cause the nevus. It's not related. Is there any other question?

Customer:

no, that is all. Thank you for your help.