Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My eyes have been giving me trouble for several months.

My eyes have been giving me trouble for several months. Several problems...primarily in my right eye. Right eye is watering constantly, sensitive to light, pain behind eyes, headache, and sometimes my left. It feels like pressure is behind my eyes, no other allergy symptoms. My primary concern is since yesterday there is a red spot on the white of my eye right lower of my pupil in my right eye. I am concerned a bit that is may be a blood vessel or something. Do you have any suggestions?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name is***** and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible for you to upload a picture of this red spot?

Dr. Rick :

You can use the paperclip on your screen to attach a picture.

Customer:

sure...let me take one

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Having the area of interest is more important than being super close up as I can enlarge the picture on my end.

Dr. Rick :

Just some other questions while you get the picture together:

Do you wear contacts?

Is your vision affected?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any nausea?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

Customer:

Customer:

yes, I wear contacts but removed.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. got it. let me have a look...

Dr. Rick :

It is really out of focus. Can you take a more in focus picture?

Customer:

I take Prozac, adderal I have experience some nausea

Customer:

sure... I will give me a minute please

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

That's even worse :( Let's just figure this out without the picture ;)

Dr. Rick :

I am concerned that you have had this irritation, light sensitivity, pain and occasional nausea for such a long time.....

Dr. Rick :

There are many possible causes for your symptoms but I am concerned about one that may be fairly serious: Inflammation inside your eyeball (uveitis) with elevated eye pressure (glaucoma).

Dr. Rick :

Could this be from allergies or something not so serious? Yes. Would I bet my vision on it? Absolutely not.

Dr. Rick :

I would feel a lot better if you could get a complete eye examination by an ophthalmologist, the sooner the better, but for sure no later then Monday morning. If there is an eye MD open tomorrow I would try to see her.

Customer:

ok that was my next question...sorry about the pics...good as I could get but thanks

Dr. Rick :

As to the red spot, although I am unable to see it clearly in the pictures, it is probably just a small broken blood vessel (subconjunctival hemorrhage) and, in and of itself, nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

That is OK. The eye is hard to photograph

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

One other thing: Should you go to the ER for this since it is now a weekend?

Customer:

I do not know I am wondering the same thing....would the red mark be from the pressure possibly a broken blood vessel?

Dr. Rick :

Since this has been going on for so long and it is not really acutely worse, I do not think that is absolutely necessary. Also, being seen by an ER doc is not of much value unless there is an ophthalmologist on cal who can come and see you in the ER.

Dr. Rick :

Many times these small vessels break for no real reason. I do not see it as a sign of the pressure inside your eye being high...

Customer:

ok....I will just pay attention over the weekend and see if I can find an eye doctor. thanks again

Dr. Rick :

I would also not wear your contacts until this issue is resolved.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Take care.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Hi Jerron,
I was just thinking about you today and wondering if you have been able to see an ophthalmologist. What did she find?
Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you in the future. I hope you feel better soon.
Dr. Rick