Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I do not wear contacts, but quite randomly for the past few

months, my eye will start...
I do not wear contacts, but quite randomly for the past few months, my eye will start to feel as though there is a film over it or a contact that is folded up on it that makes my vision blurry. sometimes if i blink enough times it goes away or gently rub them it goes away. it most frequently happens while rubbing my eyes in the shower. it's not painful, but it's worrisome because it makes me feel like there's something on my eye that's going to fall off. just wondering what this could be and how i can stop it.
7/12/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes, hi

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since the visual blurring is temporary and actually clears up on blinking, it looks like there is some amount of tear film abnormality along with meibomian gland dysfunction.

Customer:

what does all of that mean? is that an emergency situation?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A few simple home measures could help here as described below

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Many appropriate systems of eyelid hygiene exist, and all include variations of 3 essential steps. First, application of heat to warm the eyelid gland secretions and to promote evacuation and cleansing of the secretory passages is essential. Individuals are directed to use soaked warm compresses and to apply them to the lids repeatedly. Warm water in a washcloth, soaked gauze pads, or microwaved, soaked cloths can be used. However extreme heat should be avoided. •Second, the eyelid margin is scrubbed mechanically to remove adherent material, such as crusting, and to clean the gland orifices. This can be completed with a warm washcloth or with gauze pads. Water often is used, although some clinicians prefer that a few drops of baby shampoo be mixed in one bottle cap full of warm water to form a cleaning solution. Attention must be directed to gentle mechanical jostling or scrubbing of the eyelid margin itself, not the skin of the lids or of the bulbar conjunctival surface. Vigorous scrubbing should be avoided as it may be harmful. •Third, an antibiotic ointment is applied to the eyelid margin after it has been soaked and scrubbed. Antibiotic-corticosteroid ointment combinations can be used for short courses, although their use is less appropriate for long-term management and should be used strictly on the advise of the ophthalmologist.

Customer:

so, are these all temporary fixes or will soaking and scrubbing the eyelid help in the long run, too?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though these measures take time to show results, thy are quite effective. Since meibomian glands which are modofied sebaceous glands present in the eyelids, are responsible for the formaion of the middle layer of the tear film, any dysfunction in these glands can give rise to tear film issues.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These measures help in the effective functioning of he meibomian glands.

Customer:

oh, ok. thank you. tear film issues don't have anything to do with detached retinas, do they?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, they don't.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

no, thank you so much for all your help.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Hi Nicole,
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Have you started doing the lid scrubs? Did you find any relief with the explained measures? Please feel free to ask any eye question in future and I would be glad to help.Take care.
Let me know,
Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist