Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Do I need to go to an emergency Room? I have a strange bump

on my eye. I would...
Do I need to go to an emergency Room? I have a strange bump on my eye. I would like to send a picture of the bump. All I want to know is if this is something I need to go to the emergency room or can I wait and just see an ophthalmologist on Friday? It does not effect my vision and it does not hurt.
How can I send a picture?
7/4/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Sure. Go ahead and attach a well lit close up picture of it. How long gas it been there?
Customer:

Okay uploading. One minute please.

Customer:

Customer:

Let me know if this was not clear enough.

Customer:

It just occurred. I did not notice it, my daughter had pointed it out to me.

Customer:

Did you get the picture?

Doctor DanB : Yes, I finally did get it. Sorry for the delay. The site was slow showing it to me. I'll type my response while you read this.
Customer:

Okay. Thanks. Take your time. I appreciate your help.

Doctor DanB : This looks like it could either be a cyst of the conjunctiva, an inflamed pingueculum or an inflammation of the episclera. However, usually none of these are serious, nor do I think you need to go to the ER for this. I think it's fine if you go in on Friday to see your eye doctor. But in the meantime...
Doctor DanB : if it does start to bother you, I would recommend using cool compresses liberally and artificial tears 4-5x/day until then. Does that make sense?
Customer:

Yes.

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

Would you need any more pictures from a different angle? Or is this clearly like the other eyes you have seen in the past?

Doctor DanB : Oh no. This is a very good picture and short of being able to examine it myself, this is as good as could be done to represent it. I think neither of these is an emergency.
Customer:

Okay. Thanks and have a great 4th of July. I really appreciate your advice.

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. You do the same. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.