Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I might have Keratoconus. I'd like help in diagnosing it.

Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. I'm sorry but I'm unable to access that image. What specifically did you read that makes you think you have keratoconus?
Doctor DanB : I hesitate to make statements of absolute certainty in medicine, especially when I do not even have a chance to examine the patient. But, I can tell you with near virtual certainty, that if your refractive errors that you have provided for me are correct, that you do not have keratoconus. keratoconus involves having significant amounts of astigmatism which you do not have in any refractive errors you have shown me. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer:

Hi, thank you Dr. Dan. Here is the image again.

Customer:

Customer:

Can you see it?

Doctor DanB : All I see is a black box with the words test written in white twice.
Customer:

yes, the top one is written sharp without any distortion.

Customer:

this is what my left (normal) eye sees

Customer:

the bottom one, is deliberately made to look blurry, and this is what my right eye sees when looking at the top image

Customer:

what could that possibly be?

Customer:

do you see the difference yourself?

Doctor DanB : Yes, I see the difference. The reason your right eye sees like this is because it is mildly hyperopia and has a trace amount of astigmatism. Your left eye has barely any refractive error at all. This represents an uncorrected refractive error, not keratoconus.
Customer:

I see, that's very comforting

Customer:

even mild keratoconus won't cause this? I mean, very very early Keratoconus?

Customer:

I also had dry eyes due to my eyelids not closing properly, which used to cause me to wake up with a burning sensation (as if there was a foreign object in my eye).

Customer:

when I use artificial tears, the ghosting completely goes away for about 30 seconds

Customer:

I've also been diagnosed with excessive dandruff in the eyes (Blepharitis)

Customer:

in any case, I'll hopefully be visiting a clinic this coming Tuesday. Thank you for your help Dr.

Customer:

bye