Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

For the past 6 days I've been having blurriness in my right…

For the past 6 days...
For the past 6 days I've been having blurriness in my right eye, and more recently, a slight pain/stinginess.
6/28/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
Do you wear glasses or contacts?
Is there any redness/ watering or intolerence to bright light?
Is the blurring present constantly throughout the day or is it intermittent?
Did the optometrist who examined your eyes find any positive finding in the eye?

I wear glasses and contacts, however I wear glasses 95% of the time. The issue occurs with both glasses and contacts.

There is no redness or watering, nor any intolerance to bright light.

The blurring of the right eye is constant. It started last Saturday morning as I woke up, and was pretty bad, but very gradually improved over the next few day (although not perfectly).

Then, yesterday evening, it got really bad again, to the point where I couldn't stand looking at the computer anymore. It also started getting a slight pain about 2 days ago, and has been increasing. It is a slight stinging pain, and annoying, but not super painful.

I have also noticed that I have been closing it throughout the day because it hurts and is hard to see from...

I am getting quite scared now.

My optomotrist did a fairly thorough examination, but I was surprised when he said my eyes were fine and that it could be due to a number of things. He mentioned a few things that could have caused the bluriness, but didn't seem worried or concerned that it was an issue at all, but this is starting to get unberable now..

Hello Tyler,
Ok. If the eye exam did not reveal any major eye problem, then I guess you have tear film issues leading to dry eyes.Dry eyes can occur from involvement of any of the 3 layers of the tear film. The tear film has 3 layers- aqueous, lipid and mucin. The most frquent layer to be affected is the aqueous layer. It is seen due to increased evapouration of tears as can be seen with excessive hours in front of the laptop/computer/television or long hours of continous reading or writing. It can also be precipitated by excessive exposure to air conditioning or even very hot and humid climate. The treatment is in the form of tear supplements such as over the counter preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for about a month.
Dry eyes can cause intermittent blurring of vision along with irritation, burning sensation . However these symptoms will subside with regular use of lubricating eye drops.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Thank you. That does help, but I'd just like to continue this conversation a little further.

I work from my computer for a living, and recently I've been putting a lot more hours in, so eye strain from the computer was always a likely culprit in the back of my mind. I also sleep with a fan on, but my eyes are closed while sleeping obviously...

Is it normal for "dry eyes" to only affect one eye? Because it's only my right eye with the issue; my left one is fine. Also, bluriness is pretty much 24/7 in the eye, although to various degrees of bluriness.

I did splash some water mist near my eye which seems to aid somewhat, so dry eyes could indeed be the issue, although I've never had dry eyes before.

Also, my right eye doesn't really appear to be dry. It doesn't really feel dry or look dry - is that normal?

Lastly, with artificial tears, how fast does pain relief usually come, and clarity return?

Also, should I use them in both eyes, or just in the affected eye?

Thanks,

Tyler

Thank you for reply and additional information.

No, it is not "normal" for dry eyes to affect only one eye while it is quite common to have asymmetrical involvement of the two eyes with one being more severe than the other. In dry eyes it is not necessary for the eyes to feel dry though there can be various manifestations including burning sensation/redness/watering/ irritation/grittiness/foreign body sensation/mild pain/eye fatigue. I would be concerned if the blurring of vision does not improve with 1 week of regular use of lubricating eye drops. Your symptoms should begin to improve by 3-4 days following use.

In case symptoms persist even after a week of use of lubricating eye drops then do get your eye examined in detail by an ophthalmologist. There can other causes of blurred vision such as a change in the power ( refraction) in one eye , mild iritis, retinal problem/optic neuritis. The list could be longer but would only make you anxious unnecessarily. There are chances that the optometrist could have missed out some finding so getting the eye examined by an ophthalmologist would be confirmative.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist