Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I wore goggles in the pool yesterday that were too tight,

I wore goggles in the pool yesterday that were too tight, of, going underwater they got tighter. I removed them but, this morning I woke up with a swollen eyelid that looks bruised. Could wearing goggles that were too tight have caused me to bruise my eyelid?
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Yes, this scenario is certainly plausible. The pressure from tight goggles that then tighten under more pressure on the water can cause broken blood vessels that then cause bruising around islands swelling of the eyes. I should expect that this would go away without any consequence, but I would recommend using cold compresses liberally instead of warm. Cold compresses limit swelling and bruising.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!