Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have eye pain that started a day and a half ago. It started

I have eye pain that started a day and a half ago. It started out feeling like I had something in my eye and was teary, then when I woke in the morning it was sore, slightly red, teary, and puffy around the eyelid and below my eye. Now it has progressed to feeling like a bruise and is very sensitive to light. I have never had an eye infection or "pink eye" so I am not sure what it is.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

What eye drops have you put?

Customer:

Similassan Irritated Eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you carefully looked at that eye in the mirror with a torchlight? Have you noticed any foreign body or whitish dot/streak on the cornea ( colored part of the eye)? A pink eye or infection is not painful so it does not look like a pink eye.

Customer:

I can't find anything in my eye, and I have asked someone else to look. It is gotten worse over about 36 hours.

Customer:

I don't see a dot.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sometimes corneal lesions can be missed on torchlight examination but are easily picked up on special equipment called slit lamp in the ophthalmologist's office.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Has the vision in that eye got blurred or foggy too?

Customer:

No, my vision is fine. I do wear contacts normally, but used glasses today. I tried my contact lens (disposable) for a little while and it actually hurt less.

Customer:

My vision is fine, except for the sensitivity to light which has become worse.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If wearing of contact lens actually causes a reduction in pain ( then it is acting like a bandage contact lens) then it is very likely that you have a corneal lesion. I am afraid there is nothing you can do at home nor would any OTC eye medicines help in case of corneal lesions. Till you get to visit an ophthalmologist use lubricating eye ointment only and patch the eye overnight ( just in case it is a corneal abrasion alone). But going by your symptoms it looks like there could have been a corneal ulceration. Discontinue wearing contact lenses and switch to glasses.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If it is a corneal abrasion only, then you will feel better symptomatically within 24 hours as the superficial layer of cornea heals within that time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A corneal abrasion can occur in contact lens wearers sometimes but heals well with lubrication .

Customer:

OK, is an opthamologist the only type of dr. that can treat this, or can a general practice dr. (ie walk-in urgent care) help with this. I ask since it is the weekend.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If there is a corneal ulcer, then the symptoms will continue to worsen and vision begins to get affected.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would prefer an ophthalmologist to have a look as a general doctor would not be well equiped for such an eye exam.

Customer:

Thank you for the advice.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Only a slit lamp exam can tell whether or not the cornea is involved and if so then the exact nature of involvement ( whether an abrasion or an ulcer).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

Could it be that there was something in my eye and now it is gone and that is why I don't see anything?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, it is still a possibility.

Customer:

Thank you.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sometimes a foreign body can get embedded on the under surface of the upper eye lid and cause similar symptoms.

Customer:

OK-- does that cause sensitivity to light

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5185/5597364883_2a172556cf_b.jpg

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This image shows tha commonest site for sub-tarsal foreign body.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This kind of foreign body can abrade the corneal surface and cause eye pain, watering and even light sensitivity sometimes.

Customer:

I will try to look again to see if there is anything. I didn't know that it could cause light sensitivity, so now that makes more sense.

Customer:

Thank you for answering my questions.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. Hope you relief soon.

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist