Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I wonder if Dr. Rick is still working for Just Answer~ if so

I would like to ask...
I wonder if Dr. Rick is still working for Just Answer~ if so I would like to ask a question regarding high eye pressure~I had spoken to him before about my problem ~ thanks and please let me know~
6/18/2013
Camille-Mod

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Hi and Thanks~ Do you know when Dr. Rick shall be back On Line

Hi Dr. Rick~I hope that I can get you~I did not speak with you after my last visit to the Specialist~ my pressure was down to 12 and when the Specialist read it ~ after the Technician~she got 14~ which is still very good~ she said she did not need to see me again for six months~ I assume she meant for me to continue on the same drops however~I forgot to ask and she is out today~ anyway if the pressure drops so much would taking them twice a day for six more months drop the pressure even more and maybe not be good~ I talked with Dr. Dan back then~ as I moved when she took my pressure and my eye was so sore all week- end and I could not get my contact in~ he assured me it was a normal happening~it was blood shot and half closed~ I also asked~ since you told me to~ about getting an implant now and she said it would be too risky~I did not ask why~ but I should have~ Dr. Dan felt maybe if I had a secondary cataract ~ which I did~ would or could be one reason~but I tried :-) My sister gets her Laser July 10th and she said it is a one time cure all~ she also said her Doctor said mostly Asian or African people get her disorder~we are Caucasian~my eyes seem red also~ is this a side effect of Azopt and Combigan and Lumigan and can anything be done about this~I think my air conditioningmay make it worse??? Martha~

Hi, I am sorry, I do not know when he will be online, however, when he comes on he will help you right away:-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi Martha,
I'm still here...although for the last few weeks I've been on a 3,400 mile road trip and, now that I've returned to the office, I've been working like the proverbial red-headed stepchild, which has limited the time I've been online with JA :)
Thanks for requesting me.
I'm glad to hear that your eye pressure is doing so well on the drops.
You should continue taking the drops as you have been before (I believe you take them twice a day, correct?). There are no worries as the drops will not cause your eye pressure to go "too low"...
I'm glad your eye is not sore after the technician took your pressure readings this time. :)
I'm not sure why it is too risky for a secondary lens implant at this time. If you want to consider a secondary IOL in the future you might want to get a second opinion from a cataract surgeon. But, for now, I'd just leave things as they are.
The redness may be from the lumigan and it might get better with continued use. I'd not worry about it. If anyone asks, just tell 'em how much worse the "other guy" looks lol!
A/C won't really make the redness worse.....
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Hi Dr. Rick~Congratulations on your so very long road trip~you sure must be busy having a Practice and also with pests like me on line~ I like your personality~ plus sense of humour~ anyway I finally got my Doctor and she said to continue them until I see her in six months~I am on two and a third ~the Lumigan before bedtime~ they apparently grow your eye lashes and the Doctor said women love this drop~I wish it did not cause redness though~if it is the one~women would NOT love that~ I think I told you the other two are Azopt and Combigan~I felt being not a Doctor that by logic~if the pressure went down so much in three months~ it had started at 37 to a 12~ then another six months on these drugs would bring it down even moreso~maybe too far~ but my Doctor said to continue as is~ I hope the redness goes a way~is it normal from Lumigan alone~ would washing my eyes after help~would a lot of computer use cause soreness~I have 20- 20 vision for up close in my right eye~I use my computer a lot~but at times my eyes feel a bit sore~ I have been faithful putting the drops in~ I guess if I had not gone the pressure would have continued to climb???~yet thus far I am not classified with glaucoma~Dr. Ben did not know much about my sister's disorder~polypoidal~he said you were the Retina expert~ she said this laser is a one time cure~ is this so~ if it is she is luckier than me~ as it looks like I am a lifetime drop person~I don't know though if it will restore her lost vision???~she said her Doctor said it is more common in Asians and Africans and we are Caucasian~funny how my Doctor calls an implant too risky~ I asked Dr. Ben and he just said there must be something she sees like a secondary cataract~ which I did have~oh well~at least I took your advice and asked~it is good to at least know that a way back then they were not as good anyway~do all patients have these side effects from the drugs that I am on~ Martha~

Martha,
The lumigan does cause eyelashes to become longer and thicker in some people..the redness,usually, goes away with time.
There is nothing you can do to make this redness go away....just gonna haveta live with it for a bit :(
The pressure drops will not bring your eye pressure down too low...it doesn't work the way you are thinking it does...and, yes, if you stop using the drops your pressure will go up.
As we discussed, your sister's condition is not an easy one to treat and even laser sometimes doesn't work. And, no, usually treatment for your sisters condition only stops future vision loss....it can not restore vision already gone. :(
Many people have side effects from glaucoma drops but, like the redness you are experiencing, the side effects are not bad enough to warrant stopping use of the medication.
It is good talking to you again. Have a good evening.
And, don't forget: The feedback button labeled "excellent" is the most fun one to push ;-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi Again Dr. Rick~ I seem to be in a depressed state a lot of the time~I have symptons of OCD and I lost my husband very suddenly~ without any warning~then I moved to a new place where I do not know anyone and it is a big City~ as compared to a small area where I once lived~anyway Doctors have suggested that I go on an anti- depressant~ but one Psychiatrist said these can worsen glaucoma or high eye pressure~is this so~ when one takes drops would it not be controlled~I never wanted to go that route and I am very confused~ BUT I do have a lot of anxiety at times~did you hear this and would you have an opinion~Thanks~Martha~

Hi Dr. Rick~I had asked you if taking an anti- depressant would cause glaucoma~ as one Psychiatrist suggested~ as I am sort of in a depressed state and many suggest I take one~I always was told not to~ as my family have a bipolar background~now also a Psychiatrist is saying also it could cause glaucoma~I sure would not want that~ would the eye drops not help this situation~I take quietiapine in small doses~ 25 mg of three~my Doctor did not seem concerned over that~I have more OCD symptons~Martha~

Martha,
Anti-depressants will not cause glaucoma in the vast,vast,vast majority of cases.
I would not worry about this at all :)
And, yes, even if you ended up with glaucoma, drops would help.
Once again, you can safely take your quietiapine, and other medicines, without concerns for glaucoma.
Of course, it is always a good idea to have a full eye exam by your ophthalmologist every year just to make sure everything is going OK with you eyes.
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.....my Son and I are spending time traveling around and having fun before he runs off to college :)
Dr Rick

Thanks so much for always being there for me~one gets so many different answers and yet yours always make sense to an OCD person :-)~ gosh you are running around a lot lately~I sure wish I had your energy ~of course I am much older~ perhaps your son shall follow in your footsteps~ often times this happens~I have to in fact see my Ophthalmologist in six months again and as you say with my drops the pressure should remain stable~my Ophthalomologist did not seem concerned at all about the little bit of quietiapine I was on~are the Psychiatrists from India as good~ or the same~ as Canadian or US ones I wonder~ as they each have different answers~maybe you too are from there for all I know~:-)~I know people from India are normally very smart~ but everyone seems to have different views and yet yours always remains consistant~Have lots of fun this Summer~Life is short and soon your son shall be married and having a Life of his own~ Thanks again~Martha~

Martha,
Happy to help :)
I'm,finally, back home. My son and I had a great time. Next week he heads South to get ready for his Freshman year.
It really doesn't matter where your psychiatrist is from as long as you like him/her. Every board certified doctor is held to the same standards, no matter where they were born or trained....you should be OK.
I'm an Air Force Brat, born on a SAC bomber base for $1...a fact my mom constantly brings up by saying I'm worth every penny it cost to bring me into this world. lol!
Take care and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Dr Rick

I realize people from India are really smart~ but two different Psychiatrists from there had different opinions~ my father was a Navigator during World War Two~ I was born when he was away in Europe fighting and flying in the Lancasters~he was on that last Mission over Hitler's famous Chalet mansion at Berchtesgoden when they blew it up~ it is interesting to read his notes on everything~he went more than the required numbers in flying missions over enemy territory~ he wanted to be a Pilot~ but his good Math skills landed him in Navigator training instead~Arthur Hiller~ the Movie producer was also in his squadron~he came home to find me there 9 months old~he left a newly married wife and it was kind of a shock to find me sort of as number one in her life~she did not know she was expecting when he left~I was probably worth less than a $1.00 to him~:-) Martha

Martha,
I'm not surprised that two different psych MDs would give two different opinions....psychiatry is a very difficult field since there are no blood tests, cat scans, or physical exams helpful in making the diagnosis...just years of training and clinical experience.
I'm glad I picked an easy specialty like retina surgery :)
But I bet your Mom felt you were worth your weight in gold!
Take care and stay in touch.
Dr Rick

Hi Again~I know I had asked you about anti- depressants and glaucoma and also I meant to ask about medication for anxiety as well~ such clonazepam and Ativan~ I get anxiety at times and take this medication~ if I am on drops would this not protect me and I have not been diagnosed with glaucoma as such~ Many Thanks Martha I am sure I showed the Specialist what I was on and she did not seem concerned~nor did I know to ask and just see it on the Internet as a possible side effect~

Martha,
From all that we have discussed I can say with great confidence that you can take clonazepam and atavan without any concerns about your eyes.
You will be fine :)
Don't believe everything "Dr. Google" tells you ;)
Have a great Fourth.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD