Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am taking timolol and latanprost for glucoma and lately

Customer Question
for the past couple of...
I am taking timolol and latanprost for glucoma and lately for the past couple of monthsI noticed I have swollen bags under my eyes. Can I be allergic to it.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Eye
6/12/2013
Eye Doctor: eyesight2020, Optometrist replied 4 years ago
eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

If you have been on both the timolol and latanoprost a short time prior to noticing the swelling under your eyes it could be possible that you are allergic to either the timolol or the latanoprost.

eyesight2020 :

If you have noticed that your eyelids have red swollen or itchy it is possible you are having an allergic reaction to either one of the glaucoma medications.So I would mention it to your eye doctor and your eye doctor would decide on the apprpriate course of action for you.By evaluating you he could determine if it is an allergy to the medications or something else.

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions leave a note below.

eyesight2020 :

If not please rate the question before you leave the website.

eyesight2020 :

Thank you

I see you are online do you have any other questions.Without further input from you it would not be possible to get into further detail.

That said typically an allergic reaction would cause red eyes/eyelids,itchiness,and swelling of the lids.

Bags under the eyes as you described are not related to allergies however without seeing you it is hard to tell.

So as I stated before it is best to be evaluated by your eye doctor so he can determine if that is what is happening to you.

I,m sorry this is not the answer you want to have but the answers here are just for informational purposes and do not substitute a visit to your eye doctor.

Thank you

Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 4 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
I see that your expert has opted out and is no longer available to assist you.
I have read your post and above conversation. Let me see if I can address your concerns without additional information....
While it is possible that you are allergic to your glaucoma medicines, from the limited information you have provided it is more likely that the bags under your eyes are from torn orbital septum. Here is more information on this issue:
It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.
The most common cause of dark circles under the eyes is breakdown of the orbital septum which allows the normal orbital fat tissue that surrounds and cushions your eyeball to "pooch" forward.
As you know, there are tons of creams and lotions for the ladies to use for this issue. Why are there so many different ones? Because none of them work :-)
With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.
The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.
Here is a good webpage that discusses this surgery:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharoplasty
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD