Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hi I hope you can help. My left eye suddenly started hurting

Hi
I hope you can help. My left eye suddenly started hurting about 14 days ago and whilst it was limited to just around and above the eye, it is now radiating to my right eye and across my forehead. I have seen my doctor, she couldn't see anything unusual in my eye. She asked me lots of questions etc and she thought is could be neuralgia type pain which could be related to my ME or a virus. I am having my eyes checked next week at the opticians but I am really worried about them. It seems worse in the evening as when I wake up they feel normal until I start moving my eyes or maybe it's the light? It feels like its the muscle hurting behind them. Please help!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I think that you should skip the optician and consult with an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon)

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of eye diseases that could be causing your symptoms. Sensitivity to light could be from swelling inside your eyeball (Uveitis).

Dr. Rick :

If the pain is worse when you move your eyeball it could be inflammation of the wall of your eye ball (scleritis) or optic nerve (optic neuritis)

Dr. Rick :

In any event, the sooner you see an eye surgeon, the better. If at all possible I would try to be seen before the weekend, although I know this can be difficult in the UK health system

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you are offline...

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick : Hi. My name isXXXXX and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I think that you should skip the optician and consult with an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon)
Dr. Rick : There are a number of eye diseases that could be causing your symptoms. Sensitivity to light could be from swelling inside your eyeball (Uveitis).
Dr. Rick : If the pain is worse when you move your eyeball it could be inflammation of the wall of your eye ball (scleritis) or optic nerve (optic neuritis)
Dr. Rick : In any event, the sooner you see an eye surgeon, the better. If at all possible I would try to be seen before the weekend, although I know this can be difficult in the UK health system
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : I guess you are offline...
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Sorry for delay. That has worried me now do you think it's something that needs attention before Monday? I don't know what to do now!

As long as your vision in OK, you should be fine to wait until Monday but don't let them keep putting you off, OK?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

It is always a pleasure to help my friends across the Atlantic :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Ok. My vision is fine it's more the dull achey/pain in my eyes and the headache, though not excrutiating, is constant. I am finding myself wanting to squeeze my eyes shut and they are a bit irritable.

Ya....you need to see an ophthalmologist. And if all that comes back normal then a neurologist is the next step.

I hope there are not too many obstacles in your way to seeing these specialists. I know things work a lot different in the UK than the USA...

Since this has been going on for two weeks, I do not think it is a medical emergency that you be seen by these specialists, especially since your vision is unaffected, I just didn't think you should be in pain for so long...

Let me tell you one thing: It is very, very, very unlikely that you have a brain tumor...don't feel bad, everyone thinks of this cause first ;)

Take care, feel better and let me hear how things turn out.

Have a good weekend.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Just been back to docs she has given me anti inflammatories but still doesn't think it's anything serious as such, she just doesn't know what it is! She wants me back for blood tests Monday if the tablets don't work. So, we'll see how it goes.

Many thanks for your help.

Enjoy your weekend.

M x

Good to hear from you.

I've been traveling by car 1,800 miles to go to my oldest son's HS graduation so that is why it has taken me so long to get back to you :)

Sorry that your doc doesn't know what is going on, but at least bad stuff seems to have been ruled out at this point.

Let me know if the blood work shows anything.

Have a good day.

I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing.

What did the ophthalmologist find?

I hope you are feeling better.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Dr Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I haven't been referred to an ophthalmologist yet. I've just had my blood results back and they are fine. I had my eye test and that didn't show anything up. My eyes are still playing up, though on and off, with the headaches. I've tried putting hayfever drops in them but that didn't help. I still have no loss of vision and my eyes aren't red. What do you think?

It could be from sinus problems but, at this point, we are just going to have to wait on the ophthalmology exam :)

It is a 15 hour drive to my house and I hope to make it in one leg today :(

Wish me luck.

Let me know what the eye doc says.