Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Cataracts in both eyes (left eye dominant). Had surgery on

right eye a week ago...
Cataracts in both eyes (left eye dominant). Had surgery on right eye a week ago (standard mono lens) and was seeing 20/20 the next day. However, woke up the next morning and could not see too well (very blurry). I know the doc undercorrected me a little (for some basic reading) and was going to do the max correct in my other eye (next week) but now I am concerned. Questions:
-Is it normal that one could seeing perfectly the next day and then had blurred vision? I saw the doc for post op and there was no infection and very minimal swelling.
-How can I tell if this blurred vision is a result of being undercorrected or if there is a problem? (He says it was not much and I should still be able to see the time on my watch - no way I can see that clearly at all right now).
-When I put on my glasses (left lens only - took out the right one), I have double vision. That does not sound right. Someone told me that it has to do with the brain and that it's a big difference now in the way the two eyes work together. Okay - but shouldn't that not matter if I have a contact lens in my left eye (20/20 with the lens) or the glasses with the left lens only? What am I missing here?
Thanks so much - I am already hearing impaired and the thought of having compromised eyesight in one eye.....well, I obviously have concerns about rushing into surgery #2 on my good left eye. I do have a cataract in there, but unlike my right eye, that one has not been interfereing with my vision. Eric
6/5/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Eric, are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Eric, I think what you are experiencing is actually quite normal. It is very normal for the vision to fluctuate in the operated eye over the first month--this is the reason why a surgeon may wait for about a month to give you any prescription glasses you may need after surgery. It's quite normal for the vision to be really nice one day, and then spend a few more days after that being blurry. The further out from surgery you get, the less fluctuations you should see in your vision, and the refractive error in that eye should stabilize. This is usually the result of inflammation in the eye, a disrupted tear film (because of surgery), and the amount of drops/medicine you're putting in the eye). Ultimately, time is the only way to tell whether this is a result of being undercorrected because, like I said, it takes 3-4 weeks for the true refractive error to settle down and become apparent.

Doctor DanB :

It's quite possible you have double vision because your left eye has a significant need for glasses that your right eye does not now have. A significant difference between the refractive errors of both eyes can cause this sensation. If you have a contact lens in the left eye, you would be less likely to have double vision from this difference between the refractive errors of both eyes, but it's still not impossible. Also, if the double vision is only in one eye (in other words, it's only there when the right eye is open, and goes away when the right eye is closed), then that is because there is some uncorrected refractive error in that eye.

Doctor DanB :

Does this make sense?

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!

Customer:

Thanks so much. Your response has provided me with some reassurance. As you might imagine, what concerns me the most is having significantly blurred vision on Saturday (after having had the surgery on Thursday and then seeing perfectly on Friday at the post - op where they had me read the screen with my contact lens in the left eye and nothing in the right eye (surgery) and I was 20/20. He then saw me on Sunday and said no infection and only a little swelling so it was a concern. (I also had a broken blood vessel but he assured me that would not have affected my vision). At this point, I guess I need to be patient. I think I mentioned that I am scheduled for surgery #2 in a week (left eye - cataract there as well, but seeing well enough to be at 20/20 with a lens - 6.5). I know it's impossible for you to give me a definitive opinion without having had the benefit of examination, but I am wondering if I should still do this as scheduled (since I am actually still able to drive - probably should not be) and work/read (very difficult).

Doctor DanB :

Yes, unfortunately, I think a little patience is in order, especially if after examining you he saw nothing to be concerned about. It can be unnerving though, given that your vision is so important to you. Ultimately, I think you have to make the best decision you can for you regarding whether to do the left eye next week. You lose nothing by waiting to see how you do, but you may find that you're more uncomfortable, the longer you wait, with the two eyes so different with respect to the refractive errors. I think it sounds like everything has gone well though, to this point, and so unless you or your doctor have different or more significant concerns, I suspect you'd be just fine to have the other one done. Just remember though, this is no emergency or urgent thing--if in doubt, take your time to think about it.

Doctor DanB :

I hope this has been helpful. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.

Doctor DanB :

I'm still here if you need further clarification.

Customer:

Thanks so much!

Doctor DanB :

My pleasure.

Dr. Dan B.

Hi Dr. Dan B. Thanks so much. Doing pretty well. Vision did clear in right
eye (as you predicted it would). Surgeon under-corrected a little. Seeing
20/30 I think/ had the left eye done last Thursday and doing better. No
blurriness. Can read a little. Interestingly, I can read better with the
left eye (dominant) even though it is supposedly max corrected. I seem to be
closing my right eye when I read (which I think I may have also been doing
before) even with reading glasses.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.