Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Is the Optos test needed, when? is it a good idea to do it

is the Optos test needed, when? is it a good idea to do it say at age of 78? or for someone who is 40? do i need to experience symptoms to motivate myself to take one or is it just a way to avoid dilating drops?
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Can I assume this has been suggested by your optometrist? Do you have any eye diseases?
Doctor DanB : Glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts?
Doctor DanB : when was the last time your eyes were dilated for a retinal exam?
Customer:

actually this is for my cousin who did an eye exam yesterday and he suggested it, she is 36

Doctor DanB : Does your cousin have any eye problems like glaucoma, high myopia or retinal problems?
Customer:

she only has normal myopia

Customer:

maybe signs of glaucoma but they are not sure

Doctor DanB : Then I don't think this is necessary. It just allows the optometrist to pay for his pretty little machine.
Doctor DanB : If there is a suspicion of glaucoma then it may be useful to have pictures of her optic nerves.
Customer:

do you know how much it usually cost?

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately everyone charges a different amount though medical insurance should pay for it if it is for a suspicion of glaucoma.
Customer:

ok thanks

Doctor DanB : Youre welcome. Do you have any other questions about this?
Customer:

no

Doctor DanB : Okay. I hope this has been helpful. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!