How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

12 days ago I got what I was told was viral conjunctivitis,

This answer was rated:

12 days ago I got what I was told was viral conjunctivitis, I had red puffy eyes. I have had two lots of antibacterial eye drops and now have zovirax. 7 days ago my left eye which was the worst, has now become very blurry and I can not even see with my glasses which I wear all of the time. Is the loss of vision due to viral conjunctivitis please?
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Who diagnosed you with viral conjunctivitis? Who prescribed the antibiotic? Who then diagnosed you with a herpes conjunctivitis and prescribed the Zovirax? Was it a your primary doctor, optometrist or ophthalmologist?

I went to the casualty department, each time i seen a gp. They did do a test to my eyes with yellow dye and a light to see if i had an ulcer. I live in a small community and viral conjunctivitis is going around so i was diagnosed because of the red eyes like everybody else. When the antibiotic stuff did not work the last gp i seen gave me the zovirax yesterday and said to go back monday if it dies not work as then he will give ne steriods. I am worried about the loss of vision because one of my cousins had retinal detachment

Doctor DanB : I suspect you have a corneal infection from a herpesvirus. If this is not treated properly and correctly by an ophthalmologist then you may have significant and permanent vision impairment. For this reason you need to abandon care with your primary care doctor and seek help ophthalmologist as soon as possible.Does this make sense?

yes it does but i live overseas and do not have access to specialists. I think the opticians are coming here shortly but don't know when.

Doctor DanB : Okay well if that is all you have than that is all you have. Just make sure that you stay on the Zovirax while you were being treated with steroids.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this?

ok thank you for your help. The last doctor that i seen was the most helpful so i am hoping when i go back on monday he will be there. My vision will come back won't it? Will the steriods clear up the problem do you think

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, that is a crystal ball type of question. Without having examined you have i have no way of knowing how severe this is how this is actually or how thisis involving your eye. My hope is that being treated with antiviral and the steroid the vision should mostly come back, but it's possible that there is some scarring and some decreased vision permanently.

Ok thank you for all of your replies, I will ask more questions when I see the doctor on monday.


Thanks again

Doctor DanB : Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you