Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Removing cataract from a diabetic lower the pressure in the

.eye...
Removing cataract from a diabetic lower the pressure in the .eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If I am to understand correct, your question is whether removal of cataract will bring the intraocular pressure (IOP) down in the left eye , isn't it ?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Then the answer would depend on the cause of the raised IOP. Glaucoma can occur due to different causes and one of them is lens induced glaucoma (LIG). Only if a diagnosis of LIG has been established in your spouse's left eye, then a cataract removal surgery will help but not otherwise.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Suppose the glaucoma or raised IOP is due to some other reason ( other than LIG) then mere cataract surgery would not bring the IOP down.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does that answer your question?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Hello Elizabeth,

I have switched over to Q&A mode as I did not find you in the chat. I hope you get to read the answer and find it to your satisfaction. Please let me know if you have anything else to ask.

Thank you.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist