Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm being treated for a bladder infection and may also have

Interstital Cystitist/ They gave...
I'm being treated for a bladder infection and may also have Interstital Cystitist/ They gave me 10 days of Macrobid (generic kind) and gave me a newer medicine called Uribel that I took for 4 days. My last dose of Macrobid was last evening and I also stopped te Uribel last night when I noticed I was having some vision changes. All of a sudden I can't read close up material and feel like I need to move it back to focus. It reminds me of when you get your eyes dialated. I'm not sure which medicine has caused this issue so my doctor told me to stop both of them. Although really was finishing the Macrobid anyway. It's been 13 hours since I stopped and my vision is not going back to normal. Is this a permanent change, will my vision return to normal? Who should I see about it if it doesn't improve?
5/29/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: yes
Customer: Hello are you there?
Doctor DanB : One of the components of the Uribel medicine that you were taking is a derivative of a medicine that used to be used to dilate the eyes. So you are spot on; your eyes are likely experiencing the same effects as if they were being dilated. Because you took the medicine or early for four days, I do expect that it may take 48 to 72 hours For these effects to wear off. However if it has been 4 to 5 days and you're still having difficulty focusing up close, I would recommend a visit to your ophthalmologist. You are nearing that age where people start to need additional magnification to see up close, and this is just the sort of event that can sometimes push one to need that magnification a little bit sooner. Does that make sense?
Customer: Ok, I understand. This can then possibly not reverse?
Doctor DanB : No, the effects of this should reverse, it's just that since you are nearing the age where you may start needing additional magnification to see up close, this can make you more sensitive to that need and you may end up needing to start wearing over-the-counter reading glasses little quicker than maybe you would have.
Customer: Ok, so it sounds like it is the Uribel and not the Macrobid likely causing the issue. This also helps as I may need to take more macrobid in the future.
Doctor DanB : Essentially, when presbyopia is in its very early stages, many times we can compensate this through additional focusing with our brains being used to that focusing. However, when a period of prolonged dilation or suspension of accommodation happens like this, that can interrupt the brain's and the eyes' ability to maintain that tonic focusing and it Can make the need to wear reading glasses more noticeable quicker.
Doctor DanB : Oh yes, this is not the Mackubin at all. Do you have any other questions about this?
Doctor DanB : That should say 'Macrobid'
Customer: what was the name of the medicine in this medication that is causing this, as they will more than likely give me something else soon for my symptoms.?
Doctor DanB : Hyoscyamine is the component chemical in Uribel responsible for this reaction. Unfortunately, many medications given for bladder symptoms can have this similar type of effect.
Customer: If I need the medicine for my bladder is it harmful to my eyes to keep taking this?
Doctor DanB : No, not at all. You just may notice similar symptoms again.
Customer: Ok, thank you I think that's all the questions I have.
Doctor DanB : Great. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.