How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Tom Your Own Question
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Tom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have gotton clorox in my eye. i have rinsed it thoroughly

This answer was rated:

I have gotton clorox in my eye. i have rinsed it thoroughly with water. is there anything else I should do.
Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom : Are you available to chat now?

yes I am online

Dr. Tom : May I ask you a couple of questions just to understand the extent of your exposure to Clorox?


Dr. Tom : Thanks give me a minute to type my inquiry.
Dr. Tom : For how long did you rinse your eye? Do you have very much redness, pain or any change in your vision as a result of the Clorox exposure?

I rinsed about 10-15 minutes. My eye is somewhat red and I lguess the best way to describe it is somewhat burning. My vision my be a little blurey but not much.

Dr. Tom : Thank you for that additional information. Give me just a minute to type some information for you.
Dr. Tom : First, you should understand that Clorox exposure to the eye can be serious. The good news is it sounds that your exposure was minimal and mild. In most cases it is best to irrigate the eye for another 15 minutes with water or normal saline if you have it. After that the frequent application of an over-the-counter ocular lubricating eye drops, such as Systane, is both soothing and beneficial. If there is any significant amount of increased mucus, conjunctival redness, or any change in vision you should seek the assistance of a professional. An ophthalmologist is your best choice. Does this make sense so far?

yes, thank you very much.

Dr. Tom : Is there anything else I can answer for you?

No I don't think so. I will follow your advise. thanks again

Dr. Tom : You are welcome, and don't forget, if you are not completely back to normal by tomorrow you should see an ophthalmologist. Best wishes.
Dr. Tom and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you