Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

WE HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM FLORIDA BACK TO CANADA TWO WEEKS

AGO. PREVIOUS TO MY RETURN...
WE HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM FLORIDA BACK TO CANADA TWO WEEKS AGO. PREVIOUS TO MY RETURN, FOR THREE WEEKS IN FLORIDA. I HAD CHRONIC SINUSITIS. , I HAD SEVERE ALLERGIES BECAUSE EVERYTHING THERE WAS POLLINATING. MY EYES WERE FILLED WITH YELLOW PUS IN THE MORNING. I HAD VERTIGO, I WAS DIZZY. MY SINUSES WERE ALL FULL. MY THROAT WAS SORE BECAUSE OF POST NASAL DRIP. MY EARS BUZZED, POPPED AND FELT HEAVY AND FULL. THE HEADACHES WERE VERY BAD! I COULD NOT BREATH THROUGH MY NOSE AND I BLEW OUT BLOOD. ALL THE SINUSES WERE PAINFUL, BUT THE TWO SINUSES ON EACH SIDE OF THE HEAD WERE THE WORST. THEY FELT LIKE WEIGHTS WERE ATTACHED TO THEM.
I TOOK OMNARIS SPRAY- AERIUS- OTRIVIN SPRAY- SINGULAIR. NONE OF THESE HELPED LESSEN THE SYMPTOMS.
I THOUGHT THAT ALL THE SYMPTOMS WOULD GO AWAY WHEN I RETURNED HOME TO CANADA TWO WEEKS AGO, BUT EVERYTHING IS JUST AS BAD, (EXCEPT FOR NO PUS IN THE EYES) AND HAVE NOW PERSISTED FOR FIVE WEEKS WITHOUT ANY RESPITE. I STILL SUFFER FROM SEVERE HEADACHES ALL DAY, I CANNOT BREATHE THROUGH MY NOSE AND STILL BLOW OUT BLOOD. THE SIDE OF MY HEAD SINUSES THROB FROM PAIN. I STILL AM DIZZY MOST OF THE MORNING - I HAVE NO ENERGY. I HAVE BEEN TO MY FAMILY DOCTOR AND WAS TOLD TO TAKE REACTIN FOR A MONTH, WHICH I HAVE NOW DONE NOW FOR I WEEK. I WAS ALSO PRESCRIBED SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/TRIMETHOPRIM 800mg/160mg ORAL ONE TABLET TWICE A DAY FOR 10 DAYS. I HAVE BEEN ON THIS DRUG FOR TWO DAYS WITH NO IMPROVEMENT. - THIS IS A SULFUR DRUG BECAUSE I CANNOT TAKE REGULAR ANTIBIOTICS BECAUSE THEY CAUSE ME TO HAVE YEAST INFECTIONS.
MY DOCTOR DOES NOT KNOW WHAT I AM SUFFERING FROM. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA?
5/24/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Quite honestly from my end it sounds like a sinus infection as well. However, the Bactrim you're taking may very well eradicate the infection, but you may still be left with significant congestion that may take more ammunition, so to speak, than the local sprays you've been using in the nose. If there is significant congestion, these sprays just may not be able to get to the tissues in the sinuses that need them. In other words, it's possible that after you've been treated for infection that you may need a burst of oral steroids to help clear the inflammation well enough for the nasal sprays to work better. Another thing that you need to think of is that this could be something different from a virus or bacterial infection. There's a small chance that this could be an allergic fungal sinusitis--this is a fungus that inhabits the sinus in the role of an allergen, not necessarily a true infection. For these reasons, I think you need to have an evaluation by an ear/nose/throat specialist--they have special scopes that can be inserted into the sinuses to allow a more detailed look--not to mention they are the specialists in this area and have seen the breadth and depth of sinus problems. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?          It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Doctor DanB : Do you have any questions about this?
Customer:

If the ENT diagnoses allergic fungal sinusitis, does it go away by itself? or must a course of treatment be initiated?

Customer:

What is the "Bactrim" that you refer to?

Customer:

Is allergic fungal sinusitis likely to reoccur, say from environmental conditions in SW Florida?

Doctor DanB : The Bactrim is the sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (brand name for it). Florida is ripe with molds and can certainly be a favorable environment for a setup of allergic fungal sinusitis.
Doctor DanB : If it is diagnosed, it usually does not go away by itself. Some can be managed with steroids, antihistamines, allergy shots, and avoidance, but others require this plus surgery. There's a different spectrum for everyone with this problem.
Customer:

If it is allergic fungal sinusitis, could this be a recurring problem for me in Florida? Previously I have never stayed in Florida past April 15th - this year I stayed until May 6th. Did this extra 3 weeks in Florida put me into the high mold season in Florida?

Doctor DanB : I doubt it was the extra 3 weeks that was the trigger, if this is allergic fungal sinusitis; it is usually the accumulative exposure all together.
Customer:

Thank you for a great job; when I go to see the ENT in Canada, I can now ask intelligent questions. On a different note, I am trying to print this dialogue and cannot get anything to appear in print preview other than the first part of your answer. When I can print this I will rate you as Excellent Service - and leave the site. Thanks.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. You may just try selecting the text, copying, and pasting into your word processor program to print there. Alternatively, there may be a 'Share' link on your window which you can hover your cursor over and it may allow you to email the conversation to yourself. I hope this has been helpful. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

worked great - thanks and good luck!

Doctor DanB : My pleasure.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.