Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm concerned about my neighbor. the inside portion of the

sclara(sp?) of his left eye...
i'm concerned about my neighbor. the inside portion of the sclara(sp?) of his left eye is crimson. his wife says it's because of an allergy. iv'e been helping him mainly with transportation to doctors for prostate problems. during this process he said he has glaucoma and is suppose to use "drops" but never does. he is 79, she 84. they have one daughter in washington state. i have expressed some health concerns to their daughter and i think she has relayed them to her parents and therefore i'm suspecting they are concerned i will tell her about his eye. they are very skeptical about doctors and medicine. he doesn't even like to use tylenol because he is afraid he will get addicted. could an allergy cause the redness. could glaucoma cause the redness. what else. thanks, j
5/24/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Do you know the name of the glaucoma drop he is supposed to be using?
Does he have any eye pain at all?
Does his complain of any decreased vision in that eye?
Can you upload a picture of the area of redness?
Do you know how long the eye has been red?
Does he have any ocular symptoms?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

i don't have an answer to any of your questions. i am not extremely close to the couple. i just recently got better aquainted with them when they asked me to drive them to doctor appointments. they are very private people so, i am not going to ask them these questions.

John,
There are, literary millions of causes of redness of the eyes. Without more information and/or a picture it is impossible to give you a meaningful answer.
From your post, it does not seem that your friend is having any symptoms that go along with his redness, so this is a good thing.
Hopefully it is from something benign such as allergies, a pinguecula or blepharitis.
If you can obtain more information I will be happy to narrow things down for you.
I'm sure that you can understand how I am limited in what I can tell you about this issue when my only diagnostic "tool" is chat and there is so little hard data available to work with.
I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided. Ratings do not apply to system malfunctions...only to the quality of the expert.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.

my questions were very simple. could an allergy cause his eye to be very red (crimson) on one side of the sclara (sp?). could not using his eye med. for glaucoma cause the redness. i honestly doubt there are a million reasons for this type of redness on just one eye and on a very specific location.

But if it is blood red then it is most likely a subconjunctival hemorrhage:
Your friend may have experienced a sub conjunctival hemorrhage, a common event that occurs to many people.
In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.
No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.
Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD