Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What is the latest best type of laser machine being used for

What is the latest best type of laser machine being used for vision correction (I use distance glasses)? And how long do you suggest one would postpone the surgery if the beginning a cataract in one eye is evident? Or rather, how advanced should the cataract be, before it requires correction, in order to then have the laser surgery?

Welcome to Pearl.com

If you are short sighted (myopic) and have developed early cataract, then the best remedy would be undergo cataract surgery with the appropriate intraocular lens(IOL) which can rectify both the problems. If there is any associated astigmatism then it can be taken care of by either going for toric IOL( better option) or with limbal relaxing incisions . I guess it may not be necessary for you to undergo laser correction for the myopia in that case. Your surgeon is right that it would be a futile exercise to go ahead with laser treatment of the myopia (lasik) when there is presence of early cataract. The best option would be to go for cataract surgery with the appropriate IOL.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.

An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Your customer satisfaction score(8+/10) is valuable to me as it helps me to continue as an expert on this site.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks very much. given that my cataract is early stage, not apparently causing vision problems, and my short sighted-ness is, are you suggesting that I have cataracts done now, and then get the rest done?
An issue for me is that for medicare to pay for surgery, the cataracts must be quite bad. The short-sighted-ness is an option for me to pay for now, except if and when it can be done at same time as 'bad' cataracts are being done. Then it can be all paid by medicare. I dont want to wait for short-sighted-ness to be corrected.
Also, does it take a long time for cataracts to advance to a 'bad' stage?
Hello Karen,

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

As an ophthalmologist I would have suggested a single procedure which could take care of both the problems- cataract and short sightedness. As explained earlier, the phacoemulsification with IOL implantation surgery would have been enough. But I am to understand that your insurance company would pay for it only if the cataract is bad ( not if early). And that you do not want to wait for the cataracts to become bad and rather go ahead with the laser treatment of short sightedness ( which will be covered by insurance). The time taken for cataracts to become bad ( more mature as we call it) would vary from individual to individual. It could be in months to years. However it progresses faster in those with diabetes/ those living in warm and tropical climates / have had an eye injury/ are taking medicines which can cause cataracts.

If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating.

Thank you and best wishes.