Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

In 1981 I was diagnosed with engorged blood vessels in RT

In 1981 I was diagnosed with engorged blood vessels in RT eye (age 32). Three years ago, my LT eye had engorged vessels. My Dr. described both eys as "scary". I have also over the last three years have increased eye pressure. My Dr. is now testing for glaucoma. What could be the reason for the blood vessel condition and should I be worried?
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer: Yes
Doctor DanB : Have you had any head trauma in the past?
Customer: Many years ago, was kicked in the head and knocked to the ground. I really did see stars.
Doctor DanB : If I were you I would not be too worried. However I would be worried enough to get a work up to assess for a carotid cavernous fistula. This is where the blood vessels in the head can merge with your blood vessels serving the eyes and cause a buildup of pressure in those blood vessels behind the eyes. This can lead to glaucoma. These can happen spontaneously or can be a result of head trauma. Given your history of head trauma, I would recommend any ophthalmologist who does it work up for this to include imaging to assess for such a fistula. Does this make sense?
Customer: Yes, it does. I will mention it to him.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions?
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!