Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I was seen by an opthamologist yesterday and was told I had

a very nasty infection in...
I was seen by an opthamologist yesterday and was told I had a very nasty infection in my eyelid and was perscribed neomycin/polymyx/dex and told to put one drop in both eyes 4x a day. My eyelids are red,swollen and painful. I was also told to use warm compresses. My eyes feel worse. I was wondering how long it will take for them to feel better or if there is anything else I should be doing.
5/11/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Were you seen by an ophthalmologist (eye MD, who does surgery) or an optometrist?

Dr. Rick :

Did they say you have a chalazion or a stye?

9:15 AM
9:15 AM

I was seen by an opthalmologist. There are quite a few factors regarding what was possibly happening to my left eye. Afew weks ago I was hammering facing up and I tought something got in my eye but my wife saw nothing but a red irritated spot on my eyeball. It went away and then would flare up a hurt again. I'm also a dairy farmer and get swatted in the eyes by tails quite often. A few days ago while I was washing up my equipment, some heavily concentrated chlorinated soap water got splashec in my eyes. I should have flushed them out for fifteen minutes as directed on the label but it didn't burn too bad so I didn't. The next day my left eyelid became red and swollen and painful. Everytime I close my eyes it feels like somethings in there. As the day progressed my other eye became sympathetic.The Doctor said I was so swollen that he didn't want to hurt me examining the eyelid any more then he did. He really didn't seen anything other then some residue from the chlorinated soap.

Did you get my response because I'm unable to get to your answer

Paul,
My Granddaughter, who is 3 months old, stayed over last night with my youngest daughter...and it was my turn to change the diaper so my answer was a bit delayed :)
My Grandfather milked about 150 head using a 10 stall milking parlor. I spent many a day getting swatted with yucky tails and splashed with poop....but, I have to admit it, I very much enjoyed it :)
That soap is very dangerous to the eye but from what you have posted I do not think that is the cause of your eyelid problem as it usually burns the eyeball itself.
If your eyelids are infected and swollen that much I believe I would have given you oral antibiotics either instead of the drop or in addition to them.
If this were do to your hammering the other day I would not expect it to affect the other eye.....
Unfortunately, we are now into the weekend and the only place open for medical care will be the ER....
At this point I would use the drops as directed, apply cold compresses, have your wife do the milkings so you can relax ;) and, if things are not better by Monday, go see your primary care MD for possible oral antibiotics.
If, however, things get worse then you might have to bite the bullet and go to the ER.....
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
PS: The last time I remember milk was going for $17/hundredwt. Hope is it more nowadays :)

Can you just tell me how long does it take for these drops to work? And my wife does milk the cows. The price right now is about $18 but my butterfat is so high because of my jerseys that I got $22. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Paul,
You should see some positive effect, not a cure, by tomorrow. If it doesn't get worse, you can probably wait until Monday to see a doc again.
My Grandma and all us kids milked too, but my Grandfather did most of it.
He had Holsteins and sometimes had one or two jerseys. One of my favorite things to do was take the ice cold milk out of the tank for breakfast that day....um, um good!
If being a doctor was not so much easier then being a dairyman I, too, might have gone into dairy farming :)
Take care, get better soon and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD