Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What could cause my eyelid to become swollen and red.It's

painful but it doesn't affect...
What could cause my eyelid to become swollen and red.It's painful but it doesn't affect my vision. A few weeks ago I was looking up hammering and I felt something go in there but my wife saw nothing but a red irritation spot. It sort of went away but in the past few weeks it flares back up. Other then applying a cold pack to reduce the swelling what should I do?
5/10/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

does it feel like something is in your eye or is it only your eyelid that is involved and your eyeball itself is perfectly normal?

Customer:

It almost feels like there's something in there and sometimes no. My eye feels okay but my eyelid hurts.

Customer:

not sure if you received my last response. My eyelid hurts, sometimes it feels like there's something in there and then no.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, from what you have posted it is possible that a small piece of metal went into your eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

With the weekend coming up, and this not getting better after all this time, it is probably best for you to go and see an ophthalmologist tomorrow for a complete exam.

Dr. Rick :

It could also, of course, be a sty or chalazian and not related to your hammering......

Customer:

I've got a warm cloth on now then I'll switch to a cold pack to get the swelling down. If no improvement by morning I'll have to be seen. Thanks.

Dr. Rick :

Without being able to see your eye it is hard for me to tell which one is going on. That being said, here is information on what you can do if it is, indeed, a chalazion or a stye:

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for swelling or bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

If this doesn't work then the chalazion or stye can be removed with a straight forward surgery in your ophthalmologists office. Here is a good video that shows this procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlaeh8CBJXc

This takes care of this condition in the vast majority of cases.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good weekend. I hope you feel better soon :)

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD