Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello, While I was going to sleep last night, my eye started

While I was going to sleep last night, my eye started hurting.
I woke up this morning and checked the mirror, and my pupil looks strange! Like there's slits in the corners... Here's a picture.
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t613/Annzih/IMG_0423_zps3a276fb5.jpg
I used to have a cataract in my eye, and I also have diabetes...
I will see a doctor soon, but can you please help me? Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Let me go look at the picture. I'll be right back.

Dr. Rick :

In the picture it looks like your pupil had been dilated with drops. If not, then your pupil is enlarged for some reason.

Dr. Rick :

I can not tell by the picture if you have had cataract surgery in that eye with placement of an artificial lens but, in any event, what you are looking at are either adhesions of your iris to the front of your intraocular lens or to your natural lens.

Dr. Rick :

These can occur after inflammation inside your eyeball and, usually, are nothing to worry about

Dr. Rick :

Also, because the information I can get from the picture is limited, the adhesions may be the rare but normal iris attachments that can be seen in some people. This, once again , is nothing to worry about.

Dr. Rick :

The technical name for this condition is posterior synechiae.

Dr. Rick :

So. What is the take home message? If there is no active inflammation inside your eyeball, the posterior synechiae are nothing to worry about at this point.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Let me go look at the picture. I'll be right back.
Dr. Rick : In the picture it looks like your pupil had been dilated with drops. If not, then your pupil is enlarged for some reason.
Dr. Rick : I can not tell by the picture if you have had cataract surgery in that eye with placement of an artificial lens but, in any event, what you are looking at are either adhesions of your iris to the front of your intraocular lens or to your natural lens.
Dr. Rick : These can occur after inflammation inside your eyeball and, usually, are nothing to worry about
Dr. Rick : Also, because the information I can get from the picture is limited, the adhesions may be the rare but normal iris attachments that can be seen in some people. This, once again , is nothing to worry about.
Dr. Rick : The technical name for this condition is posterior synechiae.
Dr. Rick : So. What is the take home message? If there is no active inflammation inside your eyeball, the posterior synechiae are nothing to worry about at this point.
Dr. Rick : Does this make sense to you?
Dr. Rick : I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Aysha,

By the way, that was a very good picture you took :-)