Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

1. If tap water contains chlorine (which I hear it does,)

1. If tap water contains chlorine (which I hear it does,) what effect does this have on glass surfaces such as eyeglasses? Do chlorine + glass emit some sort of fume when the two come in contact with each other? Would that do anything to the eyes?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Tap water in cities many times has chlorine in it. Well water would not.

Customer:

Yes, this is tap water

Customer:

I used it often to wash or rinse my eyeglasses, sometimes with soap, sometimes not

Dr. Rick :

Chlorine dissolved in city tap water will not cause the glass of glasses, or the plastic in glasses if that is what you have, to emit any type of gas or irritating/harmful compounds.

Dr. Rick :

You can continue to wash your glasses with water without worry. This is true even if you use any sort of household soap.

Dr. Rick :

This will not cause any harm to your eyes at all.

Dr. Rick :

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

Customer:

OK, thanks

Customer:

Soap itself doesn't cause vapors either?

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Customer:

In contact with glass, or by itself alone as a chemical

Dr. Rick :

That is correct. All soaps will not cause any issues with glasses or by themselves.

Customer:

OK. I'd been feeling eye irritation and didn't know what it was

Dr. Rick :

Soap has a very low vapor pressure by it's nature....and gives off no toxic fumes. Of course, some soaps can irritate the eyes if you get it in them...but just rinsing it off will take care of this issue.

Customer:

Last question (and unfortunately really unrelated): What about stink bugs

Customer:

There are many of them

Customer:

And they get on household surfaces

Customer:

And I think that may have been it - indirect contact with eyeglasses by these insects

Customer:

(touching a surface a stink bug touched)

Dr. Rick :

Stink bugs, if they get in your eye can be irritating but just because they walk on your glasses would not be a problem

Dr. Rick :

You should be OK touching a surface a stink bug touched. If the bug was killed on that surface I would just wash with soap and water to remove their chemical but it won't hurt you or your eyes.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Thank you!

Customer:

have a good day

Dr. Rick :

You too!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS