Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

About 2 months ago I sustained a large hematoma over my left

eyebrow and severe dark bruising around...
About 2 months ago I sustained a large hematoma over my left eyebrow and severe
dark bruising around my eye after walking into a wooden banister. Today I still have
a dark circle around my eye where blood had pooled. It was typical of a black eye when
it happened. The skin around my eye was dark black to purple then green and now it's a
dark grey shadow under my eyes. Is there anything I can do to lighten this area back to
it's normal skin tone? Please advise what i can use. preferably an over the counter agent.
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/5/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I am online and available to help you.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes thank u

Dr. Rick :

I would expect that all the bruising has resolved by now.

Customer:

yes only a dark circle remains around my eye

Dr. Rick :

Is this grey shadow area have some looseness/bagging of the skin associated with it?

Customer:

no just discoloration

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Just so I understand....the skin in normal in all respects other then a slight grey tinge? Is this correct?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

ok. That is good news... you probably didn't tear your orbital septum then :)

Customer:

that's good news

Dr. Rick :

What probably has happened is that the break down products from the bruise have stained the tissue just under your skin. This change in color will, in the vast majority of cases, resolve with time --- how much time, you might ask?

Dr. Rick :

It can take up to 6 months :(

Customer:

yes I thought in 2 months it would return to it's normal color. Oh well guess I have to wait so topical agents will not help?

Dr. Rick :

But, I have been told by my "makeup consultant" (AKA: wife) that yellow tinged makeup, with MAC brand being the best per my consultant, work very well to cover up skin color change you are experiencing.

Dr. Rick :

Of course, with time, your body should clear this up on it's own...so don't buy a ton of this makeup :)

Dr. Rick :

No. None of those magical agents you read about on the internet will work.....they will, however, make your wallet lighter ;)

Dr. Rick :

You just need to give it time......

Customer:

thank you for the advice, funny thing all my life I've never worn make up and my complexion is flawless too bad I'm made to wear it because of injury.

Dr. Rick :

Ya....but think how much harder this would be for a guy!

Dr. Rick :

I'm happy I could be of assistance. Have a good weekend.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

yep! I will give it time thank you you also

Dr. Rick :

Take care.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD