How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For (2) years, and several times a day I can feel my eyes

This answer was rated:

For (2) years, and several times a day I can feel my eyes crossing. When this happens when driving I have to close one eye to see better. It doesn't last long, maybe 30 seconds to a minute. It really feel strange when it occurs. My TSH level was very high at 40 at my last blood test and I've had hypothyroidism and been taking meds for 24 years. My family doctor increased my meds and will have my blood checked in 30 days. Could going crossed eye have anything to do with my thyroid?
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Yes, this could definitely have something to do with your thyroid. Did you ever have an issue with a crossed or lazy eye as a child? Any surgery on the eyes?
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

Yes I can chat. I never had any crossed or lazy eye as a child.

JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

Oh, no surgery on my eyes either.

Doctor DanB : Sorry I had to step away from my desk for just a few minutes. Because any level of thyroid disease can cause dysfunction of the extraocular muscles, I would recommend having a complete examination with your ophthalmologist to determine if you have thyroid eye disease that is causing this double vision. Does that make sense?
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

so I should see my eye doctor about my thyroid?

Doctor DanB : I think it's probably a good idea, yes.
Doctor DanB : If you're having double vision it could be due to the thyroid dysfunction and that should be ruled out by your ophthalmologist.
Doctor DanB : But I wouldn't advise seeing an optometrist about this--this is really a medical eye issue that an ophthalmologist should address.
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

I have exams every year, and they have my information about my thyroid, but I should still go and tell them specially to check for something wroing. what do I aks my eye doctor to do or test?

Doctor DanB : I'm assuming you're seeing an optometrist?
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

I believe so, he is with Horizon Eye care.

JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

Oh I get it you said ophthalmologist. sorry

Doctor DanB : Okay, then you really need to see an ophthalmologist--the optometrist is most likely out of his/her league with this issue.
Doctor DanB : No problem. Do you have any other questions about this?    
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

My fault. I didn't see that you said ophthalmologist. What type doctor is that?

Doctor DanB : An ophthalmologist (I am one) is an M.D. with specialized training in the medical and surgical diseases of the eyes. We go to medical school and are medical doctors, but then go to four additional years after medical school to study/learn the medical and surgical diseases of the eyes, especially as they relate to medical conditions that happen throughout the body.
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

Should I wait and see what my family doctor says about my blood work that I get next week, or just make an appointment with the Ophthalmologist that is covered in my medical plan.

Doctor DanB : No, I would just make the appointmnet with the ophthalmologist--either way you have double vision that needs to be addressed and your family doctor can't do that.
Doctor DanB : I'm sorry but I do have to step away from my desk for about 5-10 minutes. If you have further questions, please let me know what they are and I will be happy to address them when I return. If you are satisfied with your answers then...Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

One last thing, should I be concerned that this been going on for 2 years, and if you had to guess what do you think?

Doctor DanB : I think the concern over it being 2 years long is not high, the longer you've had this without singificant problems the less worried I would be, but I would still be worried enough to see the ophthalmologist soon.
JACUSTOMER-0gbrnewr- :

Thank you!

Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you