Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was wondering if you could help me with my symptoms. I can

Customer Question

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me with my symptoms. I can be a bit of a hypochondriac & automatically assume the worst. I have been having eye twitching, I say twitching but it seems more like contractions. It happens every single day and it can be my lower and upper lids that contract. I have terrible aching/pressure around/behind/above my right eye since about October 2012 along with headaches and sharp pains shooting thru my head. I have been to the Health care Dr. & the eye Dr. The eye DR said my eyes were perfectly fine. My family Dr sent me for an MRI. My MRI came back that I had mastoiditis and they explained to me that basically I had an air pocket in my mastoid and they presribed me to dymista nasal spray. I have been taking that since Feb. The eye twitching and pressure hasn't stopped. it has actaully been getting worse and now I am beginning to experience pressure/pain on my left eye as well. It also seems to be worse after a night of drinking wine (does that mean anything)? please Help...

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
This is Dr. David

you might have to avoid wine in the short term.

twitching around the eye muscles can come from excessive fatigue, not getting enough sleep, or electrolyte imbalances such as low potassium or low sodium or low magnesium levels in the blood. when you have these low electrolyte levels, it can cause your nerves to spasms and cause small muscles like the small muscles around your eyes to twitch.

I would ask your doctors to check your blood levels for these electrolyte levels to see if they are low. if they are low, you might need to supplement your potassium level or calcium or magnesium levels and this might help your eye twitching symptoms.

also if you are not getting enough sleep, or are not sleeping properly, this might have to be solved as well for you to sleep better to help the twitching muscles as well

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David,
Thank you for that reply, I will contact my DR and set up an appt. to get my blood levels checked... Would that also be what causes 'charlie horses' in my toes/feet almost daily? Also, does that go hand in hand with the pressure/aches I feel behind my eye's and around them? I don't really know how to describe it. Sometimes it feels like the skin on my face around my eye is drawing up, and then other times it aches like an arthritis would in someones hand directly behind my eye. Then sometimes it feels like there is so much pressure behind my eye that my eyeball will pop out of socket. Its very disturbing.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.
low potassium or low electrolytes in your blood could very well cause muscle spasms and muscle cramps and charlie horse pain muscle cramps.

hopefully the blood testing will find the problem and you can correct your electrolyte imbalance and your nerves and muscles can function better and your symptoms will get better.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com