Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

About 2 months ago the skin under my right eye was slightly

About 2 months ago the...

About 2 months ago the skin under my right eye was slightly dry. Over time the skin underneath both eyes have become dry; it's not visibly dry but it feels dry and a little scaly. However, it is visible when I wear make up around my eyes which I have now stopped doing since it looks worse with make up. Now the skin on my eyelids has also become dry recently. In addition the skin on my eyelids seems a little more wrinkled...I naturally have a lot of eyelid skin and it now looks like part of the skin is a little puffy causing a larger crease that I never had in the past. If I wear eye makeup my lids would not crease with the eye makeup but now as soon as I put on eye makeup you can immediately see the crease in my eyelid which is due to the deeper crease line in my eyelid. My eyes are not itchy at all. I'm using Pond's cream around my eyes which I have been using for many years. I preferred the "greasier" film around my eyes to combat wrinkling and it was perfect to use under my eye makeup. Since I've been experiencing these issues I tried using Vaseline around my eyes (just dabbed it around the eyelid and underneath the eye) but that isn't helping me. I always clean my makeup brushes daily and have used the same makeup and makeup brush cleaner for years without a problem. I read articles online that it can be dermatitis sometimes caused by nail polish (the formaldehyde in the polish) but I don't wear any nail polish at all. I normally don't rub my eyes so I keep my hands away from my eyes. I'm stumped at what this may be and how to fix the problem. Also, I do not wear a lot of eye make up normally (even though I'm not wearing it lately); it consists of foundation and some pressed powder and light eye shadow and eyeliner above my upper lid. I never share my makeup or brushes with anyone. I'm a 38 y/o female and use Skinceutical products for many years.

I also want to mention that this past month I purchased the NuFace facial toner device which requires use of their gel to accelerate the conductivity between the device and your facial skin.  I don't use the device around my eyes but I wanted to add this info just in case it may help.

Please help.

5/2/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.
The most common cause of wrinkles and dark circles under the eyes is breakdown of the orbital septum which allows the normal orbital fat tissue that surrounds and cushions your eyeball to "pooch" forward.
As you know, there are tons of creams and lotions for the ladies to use for this issue. Why are there so many different ones? Because none of them work :-)
With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.
The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.
Here is a good webpage that discusses this surgery:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharoplasty
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

Hi! Thank you for your medical advice. I do have additional questions based on your response. I don't really have any bags at all under my eyes; the dark circles are minimal and have not changed in color with age....there's slight darkness under my eyes but I've always had that which is hereditary and common within my ethnicity (I'm Egyptian and as you may know we have prominent, more deep set eyes). There's an overlap of a crease on my eyelid but it doesn't see serious enough for surgery at all (looking at my dad who is almost 70....that I would consider for surgery). My biggest issue would be the dryness I feel around all of my eyes (eyelid and under my eyes) which has increased over the past 2 months. My actual eyeball isn't dry and I produce tears just fine...it is the skin around the eyes that feels dry. I can't imagine that I would need any surgery for that though. Do you think that this is some type of skin condition? I was reading about blepharitis resulting in meibomian gland dysfunction and that many people use lid scrubs to treat this condition but I can't tell if this is for dry eyes (like the eyeballs/cornea being dry) or if this also is a cause for dry skin around the eyes since this condition basically shuts off the secretion of oil glands located in the eyelids.

Thank you again for any advice you can continue to provide.

Violet

Violet,
You are correct, blepharitis doesn't usually cause dryness of the skin of the eyelids. You might have a touch of eczema...
I suggest you try putting 1% hydrocortisone cream on the affected areas 2x/day. If after 7 days things are not better then it is probably time to call in an expert and have a dermatologist take a look at you :(
Does this make sense to you?
You can mash the positive feedback button now if you so desire ;)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD