Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I've noticed after working in the yard over the last week my

vision has gotten hazy, more...
I've noticed after working in the yard over the last week my vision has gotten hazy, more so in my right eye, after strenuous yardwork in the heat. There is a burning sensation as well, like you get when you've been in a pool too long.
It seems to happen when I feel overheated (profuse sweating, red-faced, etc.). Its been warm warm (90 degree real feel w/ humidity) and I'm out of shape.
I'm a 46 year old caucasion male that is overweight (5'11'' / 230 lbs), out of shape and probably drink too much. The yardwork is the most exercise I've had in a while. My blood pressure has been fluctuating between borderline to stage 1 high (137/90 to 145/95).
Is it salt burn from the sweating or potentially a more concerning health issue given my current bodily state.
I have a physical planned in about 3 weeks. One thing I've noticed though is that I am getting in better shape as it takes longer to feel over-heated (upon which I stop, rest, cool down, etc.) and am less winded.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/1/2013
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. This is very likely just due to tear film changes as you get hot and possibly sweat which mixes with your tear film to change your vision. However, because it's possible that this could also be related to a very uncommon type of glaucoma, I would recommend that you have a complete eye examination with your ophthalmologist. TThe average, most common type of glaucoma would not cause this, but a particular secondary type of glaucoma could. Does this make sense?
Doctor DanB : Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this?      It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently.    I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.   If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

Doctor Dan, My apologies for taking so long to get back to you. Since my question, i can confirm it is clearly sweat/heat induced. Things get blurry and my eyes burn. It is worse in my right eye ... my left barely gets affected. Afterward, at night, if i look at a bright light - street light (esp. w my right eye), there is a beautiful halo-rainbow from the haziness. OTC eye drops relieve the burning sensation but not the haziness. It's 7 hours now after I was working in the yard and my right eye is still burning and hazy. It doesn't seem right. Any other thoughts? I will definitely go see an eye doctor.

Doctor DanB : I suspect that the haziness persists because you already have what is called a dysfunctional tear film. Let me elaborate...
Doctor DanB : The front of your eyes has a layer of tears coating it called the tear film (this layer of tears is different from the tears you produce when you cry or have an irritation in your eye). The tear film normally provides a healthy environment for the front of the eye (the cornea and conjunctiva) and also contributes significantly to clear vision.  When the tear film is unstable or unhealthy (there are many reasons why this can be so, which I will get to) it becomes dysfunctional and can produce uncomfortable symptoms and blurry vision.  This is called a dysfunctional tear film.People with a dysfunctional tear film can have multiple different symptoms ranging from redness, dull aching or pressure, sharp or stabbing pain, morning tearing, burning, and often eyelash mattering to tearing, stinging, itching, burning, a gritty/foreign-body senstation or just intermittent vision fluctuations. Their symptoms sometimes get better as the day progresses or they can often times worsen throughout the day, but they can get intermittent blurring when they use their eyes heavily in activities such as reading, watching TV, computer use or driving. A dysfunctional tear film can be due to many different factors. Different medicines such as psychiatric medicines, antihistamines, cold medicines and others can contribute to a dysfunctional tear film.  Allergies in the eyes can also contribute (and or make worse). Some people have an innate deficiency in making their own tears (these people may also have other dry mucus membranes, such as their mouth, nasal passages, or genitalia). Any kind of eye surgery can actually cause and/or worsen this  Many people have an inflammation in the eyelids called blepharitis which causes the tear film that is supposed to coat the front of the eye to not function as well, and then the eyes dry out. 
Doctor DanB : Your symptoms sound consistent with blepharitis; I would recommend starting this treatment, while concurrently using artificial tears. In order to treat blepharitis, everyday in the morning you should do two things: 1. hot compresses and 2. eyelid scrubs. You should do hot compresses for 5-10 minutes over each eye at the same time. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. Then, use either commercially available preparations or a dilute baby shampoo solution to scrub your eyelashes on all 4 eyelids. The commercially available preparations are called Ocusoft or Sterilid which are both over-the-counter eyelash scrubbing treatments. These cost more money but are quicker to use. Otherwise, the cheaper alternative is the dilute baby shampoo (4-5 drops Johnson's shampoo in 1/4 cup warm water), you will take the wipe (or dip a qtip in the dilute baby shampoo solution) and use that to scrub right on the eyelashes of each eyelid for 15 seconds. That will take 60 seconds when done to all 4 eyelids. The scrubbing is done right on the eyelid margin, where the eyelashes come out. After that, just splash some water on the eyes and you're done. It does take about 3-4 weeks of doing this consistently every day before it really kicks in, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. Also the eyes are still significantly dry during this 3-4 weeks so I would recommend using artificial tears 4x/day in both eyes (one drop per application). After 4 weeks you should be able to start tapering off of the tears to as you need them. Just doing the artificial tears, hot compresses and eyelid scrubs alone would likely start to help you after three or 4 weeks--but remember it could take this long of doing it everyday before you see a significant effect, so don't stop it thinking it's not working. If you are a person that doesn't make their own tears very well, then you may also benefit from a prescription drop called Restasis, which actually modulates a person's immune system to help them make more of their own tears. This drop actually requires constant usage on a daily basis for at least 10-12 weeks before its effect kicks in (takes awhile to change the immune response in the body). Because there are numerous reasons for dry eye, if not all the reasons that exist in one patient are treated, it can seem as though the ones that are being treated are providing no benefit. If you've tried these recommendations and still don't feel better then you should consider seeing a corneal specialist for a dry eye evaluation.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.