Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years experience treating patients with eye problems
68478506

I am away on holidays and I have 1 pair of glasses but I forgot

I am away on holidays and I have 1 pair of glasses but I forgot to bring my 2 pair of glasses with me. I am in Australia and I want to know if I go into an optometrist can they get me a prescription glasses for me straight away? It will be difficult for them to contact my optometrist,

Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Customer: Can you please answer my question I have already asked you?
Dr. Tom : Give me a minute to type your answer.
Dr. Tom : Yes, it should've easy to do. There are at least two good options. An optical shop can read the script in your primary glasses and copy it for you in a new set or an optometrist can do a quick refraction and order anew pair for you. Does that information help you?
Customer: Thanks how long would it take for them to do that? Would I get the glasses the same day?
Dr. Tom : Yes I'm most shops they usually have the resources to do one day services in emergencies , but make a few phone calls to save yourself time.
Dr. Tom : Please let me know if you have other questions on this. Thanks for the opportunity to help you

Hi again Nerolie,

Please take a minute to click on a positive rating. Doctors who help customers on line do not get paid for our time unless you give us a positive rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi. I have just gone around to optometrists and they say they cannot do glasses on the spot for me like you said. Do you know what I can do next? I am desperate?

Good morning Nerolie,

It is surprising to hear that the Australian optometrists won't do a one day turn around. As you know, in the USA there are lot of shops that have that service.

Try to find a stand alone optical shop. An optical shop can read the script in your primary glasses and copy it for you into a new set. The main point here is they have an instrument that allows them to read your glasses. So you don't need a new prescription to have an emergency pair of glasses made.

I'm sorry you are having this trouble, it should not be that difficult if you can find the right shop. Bests.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks when you say find a stand alone optical shop. What do you mean by stand alone? Does that mean an independent optical shop not a chain?
Stand alone was meant to mean either an independent optical shop or a chain that were in the business of making glasses, and not limited the prescriptions from a single optometrist.