Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have a dent in the sclera next to my iris. It feels like

Customer Question

I have a dent in the sclera next to my iris. It feels like there is something in my eye and has only been this way for about the past two days. I kept checkiing for an eye lash or something, but when I felt it, it is actually dented/has an indentation/ridge.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Do you work contact lenses? Do you have allergies or have you been rubbing your eyes? Have you had any surgery or trauma to your eyes?
Doctor DanB : I see that you have rated me prematurely. However let me give you my answer based on what I suspect is going on in the absence of additional information which I was seeking from you. I suspect based on what you have told me that this is likely called a dellen. A dellen is an area next to the cornea where friction can rub down the surface of the eye and cause a depression or crater to form. If this worsens significantly they can put the eye at risk for problems. Thankfully, they can usually be treated and resolved by using frequent artificial tears throughout the day, at least 4 to 5 times per day every day, for a few weeks. I would recommend doing this to start out with. However, if this starts to worsen before starting to improve then I would have no hesitation to go see your ophthalmologist. In fact, it is likely a good idea to see the ophthalmologist at first to confirm that this is a dellen. But this is what I suspect based on what you have told me. Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1) I don't wear contacts

2) I have had intermediate uveitis in the past but no flare up within the last 5 years

3) the only other trauma I can think of is I had a dentist appoint on Wednesday where the assistant blew air into my eye with that air tool thing.

Thank you for your answers to my questions. Please see my answer and let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, this answers my question. Thank you so much!

Kim

My pleasure. Good luck Kim!