Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

i woke up 2 days ago with an very hot face, that looked like

i woke up 2 days ago with an very hot face, that looked like a hot rash and it eventually spread to the end of my stomach. I went to sleep and later i woke up with swollen face and puffy eyes. i have also had a very itchy neck which i have tried not to itch. i have tried natural anti histamines to try and help. The swelling and puffiness has gone, but the itchiness and hotness has stayed. i need help to know what this is!! :(

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Give me a moment till I type my answer.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry for the delay. I had to switch over from my moblie to the laptop.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It looks like you have had an episode of mild angioneurotic edema.

Customer:

What is that?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is a kind of allergy wherein the exact allergen may or may not be known. It could be anything from pollen in the air to something in the food which you could be allergic to.

Customer:

ok. I wondered whether it could have been an aftermath of my bowen therapy treatment?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since natural anti-histaminics have not given you the desired relief, it is better to take oral anti-histaminics such as Tab Zyrtec ( cetrizine), 10 mg, 1 tablet at bedtime.

Customer:

how can i get those tho?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These medicines are available over the counter.

Customer:

Ok, is there anything else i can do to help?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

To get relief from the itchiness you can apply cool compresses to the area. Applying calamine lotion can also help relieve the itchiness. Otherwise tablet zyrtec should be able to give you the desired relief. It can be continued for a week. If symptoms persist or worsen after a week of treatment then it is better to get an opinion from your primary care physician.

Customer:

Ok thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

But considering the fact that the swelling and puffiness has disappeared, it looks like the allergy is already resolving. It is a matter of few more days before you will be back to your old self, feeling better.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer:

i feel hotter when i do things like housework and move a lot, and also get a tingling in my back.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Physical work can cause the warmth, which in turn cause more release of antigens. But this should be a temporary thing and should become alright once the allergy disappears.

Customer:

Should i go to work? As i am rostered on for tommorow.

Customer:

I have already taken off today

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, I guess it is alright to go for work since there is no swelling or puffiness now. With oral cetrizine tablets the itching sensation will also reduce. In some individuals it might cause some amount of drowsiness too. So it is better to take it in the evening so that you remain fresh the next morning.

Customer:

how else can i get rid of the itchiness because im not able to get to a chemist now.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I am afraid alternate measures to oral medicnes may not be as effective ( you have already experienced the lack of effect).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Try cool compresses to the itchy areas.

Customer:

ok. Thanks.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

Thanks for your time

Dr. A.S. Desai :

My pleasure. Take care and have a good day!