Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I underwent a sclera buckle treatment following my diagnosis

I underwent a sclera buckle treatment following my diagnosis of retina detachment in my right eye. My left eye was treated with laser treatment.
It's been about 5 years after the surgery, I'm wondering if normal sexual activities are recommended or if only non-athletic one is allowed(such as me at the bottom, and my spouse doing all the work)
Sometimes after sex I feel some eye pressure that caused me mild discomfort and headaches. I don't know if it's normal
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes i am

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you experience eye pressure and headache every time you have sex? Since how long have you been experiencing this?

Customer:

only sometimes when my spouse was at the bottom and when he was shaking me a lot harder than usual. It just happened today.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Irrespective of this, it is assured that physical activity including sex would have no effect on the retina ( post op for that matter).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have known history of migraine/ glaucoma?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Or a history of sinusitis?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you taking any medication?

Customer:

I have sinus and nasal allergy. But I'm not taking meds, I don't have history of glaucoma/migraine either.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The eye pressure would not be related to any form of physicial activity including sex. So one thing assured is that the headache and eye pressure which you have been experiencing are not due to any ocular cause.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In that case we have to consider the possibility of allergic sinusitis occuring co-incidently.

Customer:

so do you recommend certain medical checkup for me?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The eye is surrounded by 4 sinuses. Thus sinusitis is likely to give rise to referred pain to the eye and is more like pressure behind the eye.

Customer:

anyway, thank you very much for your reassurance. I feel much better now

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Glad to be of assistance. My pleasure.