Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I was hit in the eye with a soccer ball, which caused a bit

I was hit in the eye with a soccer ball, which caused a bit of bruising around the eye. My vision was fine once I put ice on it (this was two days ago) and now there is a little bit of a blurry spot that at times is not noticable and sometimes is jarring. There is nothing that looks like blood in my eye and my irises look normal, but there does appear to be a little swollen spot in the white part of my eye (which maybe be the thing slightly blocking my vision?). Should I be worried, or wait to seek medical attention?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When you close the other eye and look through the injured eye alone, is the vision blurred or hazy?

Customer:

Slightly, yes. It looks like there is something small blocking the corner of my eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the swelling in the white of the eye similar to this?

Customer:

I think so. It is hard to see, and definitely not that pronounced

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have mentioned that the blurry spot is not noticable sometimes . Does that mean that the vision is normal at that moment?

Customer:

Yeah, right now it is fine

Customer:

It's more noticable when it's a little bit dark

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well in that case it should not be a matter of concern. It is important to know that the vision in the injured is normal( the same as it was before the injury).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Maybe the blunt injury to the eye has caused some amount of chemosis ( raised conjunctiva, which is the white part of the eye, due to accumalation of fluid).

Customer:

Is that what was in the picture you sent me? And it will go away on its own?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though it does not sound like an emergency, it would make sense to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist if the blurry spot persists or if the raised spot persists beyond a week. Sometimes there can be internal injuries to the eye following a blunt injury which may not be visible to the eye externally. However a routine eye exam would confirm that the eye is free from any internal injury.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, the picture sent is similar to chemosis. Actually it is that of a conjunctival cyst which can occur following trauma too. It is self limiting and disappears within a week or two.

Customer:

Okay, I'll keep monitoring it over the next week or so. Thanks for your help!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist