Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My upper eyelid on the right side has been swollen for at

least 6 months now....
My upper eyelid on the right side has been swollen for at least 6 months now. It is not red. It doesn't hurt but it is obstructing my vision a little bit, and I also don't like my appearance now. I also have some kind of nasal problem that has been going on for years. I am very stuffy on the right side - especially in the mornings, but have to blow my nose throughout the day. I was tested for allergies (on my back) a few years ago and was negative for everything.
4/15/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Is the area tender?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any other symptoms?

Dr. Rick :

does the swelling stay the same all the time or does it change during the day or day to day?

Dr. Rick :

Is is possible for you to upload a picture of the swollen eyelid?

Dr. Rick :

Do you wear contacts?

Customer:

It isn't tender. It's always the same amount of swollen. I don't wear contacts. Let me get a picture for you.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. You can use the paperclip on your screen to upload. Having the picture in focus is more important then it being real close..

Customer:

ok. it's just taking a while to upload.

Dr. Rick :

:)

Dr. Rick :

I give it some time....large files can take a bit

Dr. Rick :

Is it possible to set your camera to a lower resolution or use a program on your computer to decrease the file size? It doesn't seem like your picture is going to make it ;(

Customer:

let me try that

Dr. Rick :

ok

Customer:

Dr. Rick :

got it. Let me take a look. BRB

Dr. Rick :

Have you had any trauma on that side?

Customer:

No.

Dr. Rick :

If someone were to look closely at your eyes when you were relaxed, would they think that the pupil on your right eye was smaller then the pupil on the left?

Customer:

I think it came about slowly because I didn't even notice it for a while til
I noticed all my pictures were coming out with that eye looking like it was half shut. About 6 months ago.

Customer:

I don't think so.

Dr. Rick :

Have you ever noticed when you sweat hard, like in a sauna or exercising hard, that the right side of your face doesn't sweat, or it sweats less then the left side?

Dr. Rick :

Can you feel any sort of lump or mass under or around that upper lid?

Customer:

I haven't noticed that.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Customer:

there is no mass that I can feel.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Sorry for all the questions.....

Customer:

No problem.

Dr. Rick :

What you have is called ptosis. That is just doctor-speak for a droopy eyelid. The questions I've just asked you pertain to a common cause of a droopy lid....

Dr. Rick :

So. Since you already knew your eyelid was droopy before chatting with me, let me give you some advice on what to do.

Dr. Rick :

There are a number of things that can cause a painless droopy upper eyelid. Some of them are nothing to worry about and can be easily fixed, and some of them can be a sign of a underlying systemic disease or physical problem.

Dr. Rick :

Using the internet, even with the excellent picture you uploaded, it would be impossible for me to say which of these many issues is at work with your eyelid.

Dr. Rick :

The good news? A complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist (eye MD) should be easilyi be able to figure out what is going on, rule out (or in) any of the concerning problems and then fix the problem.

Dr. Rick :

What should you not do? Ignore this any longer.

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad you took the time to research your eye problem so you can get the help you need.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

I did go to an optometrist back in October because it was covered by insurance and she checked my retinas with a machine and said they were both okay. She wasn't an ophthalmologist though. What will an ophthalmologist do?

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you were examined by an optometrist and not an eye surgeon (ophthalmologist). Your problem is way beyond the training and ability of an optometrist to deal with...

Dr. Rick :

Yes. You should consult an ophthalmologist...and eye MD who does surgery.

Dr. Rick :

not that you will need surgery....just trying to make the difference between the two types of eye doctors clear :)

Customer:

Okay. How much do you think an ophthalmologist charges for a consultation?

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina specialist so charge a lot :( But a general ophthalmologist, for a complete eye exam, might charge around $125. But I can tell you from personal experience that the majority of eye MDs will work with you on billing and give you a discount rather then have you go without care.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you very much.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Dr. Rick :

Have a good evening.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD