Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a question for a Doctor who deals in contact Lens

4/10/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. Thank you for your patience.
I am an ophthalmologist and have been trained in contact lenses. That being said I am a retina surgeon so, as you might guess, I don't fit lenses on a daily basis.
That being said, can I be of service?
We do have doctors on this site who fit contacts in their daily practice, but they have not been online all day. If you would rather wait for one of them, please let me know and I will opt out.
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

This is me Martha~I guess you had told me that you were not that up on contact lenses~ is why I asked for a Specialist in that field~I got my new one for my cataract eye and it is really as thin as the one for the right~ where at one time they had a thicker appearance~I also find it bothers my eye~I do not dare try putting one in the right eye until I am more practiced~ anyway I thought I would go back to my old one until I see her again~ she only works on Sundays~I could not see with it~ so now I feel that I got the three of them mixed up somehow~ as the other two at least I can see~one I thought was a normal one for the good eye~I feel o stupid~ she even marked old on the other case and it seems obvious something got mixed up~ I honestly can't see with the naked eye any difference in looking at them all~ I see with two~ to me the new one should feel more comfortable and since I seem so confused maybe I have the old one in~ I called today to see if they were brought in if another Optomastrist could figure out which was which and they said they could not be able to tell~ to me they should know an older one ~ as it is quite old~I hate to have to wait until Sunday to have this fixed~if I can't see with one I guess it is obvious it is meant for a normal eye~I hate to bother you with such a trivial matter~ I am rather embarrassed as well~ years ago the Lens replacement was always thicker I thought~now I see no difference ~maybe I am going out of my mind too~:-) Martha~

Martha,
I didn't realize that this was you but, of course, your questions are never a bother :)
It seems to me, from what you posted, that a mistake was made and you were given the incorrect lens for your aphakic (post cataract surgery eye) It really should be thicker then the other one.
If you can see well enough in the distance with no contact, then just go without and buy some dime store +2.50 reading glasses for near tasks.
If you need a contact in your regular (non operated on) eye to see in the distance, then go through the three lenses you have until you find the one that works. Then you can use reading glasses over the contacts for near tasks.
On the next available time, take all three lenses back to the optometrist and let her figure out where the screw up is :(
I think your mind is just fine -- no need to worry there.
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Let me know how things turn out....

I think that you are a real sweet heart~I have OCD tendencies and yet no one told me I was OCD~I just cannot stand things not right~ as I told you before I have 20- 20- vision up close in my good eye and need glasses for distance~ the contact she gave me for that eye was great~ as it eliminated the glasses and yet I could not get it out and had to go to out patients~ she made me promise to not put in in until I practice in front of her again~ when I wear this contact however I have to wear cheap glasses to read~ rather a nuisance~ I should just concentrate on my left eye and just use glasses for my right~ although it was so nice to be able to see distance so well~even if for social occasions or whatever~ I thought maybe the new contacts were made thinner for my problem~I am not sure what to put in tomorrow~ my eye is rather sore right now from poking at it so much trying the different lenses~I definately screwed up some place~that is normally not me~I am trying to concentrate on the fact that I am fortunate that my glaucoma suspect turned out better than I feared~that my eyes and optic nerves are healthy~ she said the report came back very good from the Specialist~as you are~ only not in Retina's~ my sister should be talking to you~ I am quite sure she has not heard the word macular degeneration~as she does not seem concerned about it~or if she did does not read up on it as I did~a Dr. Dan on there said we both had serious eye issues ~ but she more than me was more likely to lose her sight~you deserve at least a 20 putting up with me~Thanks so much Martha~

Martha,
Since your eye is sore, give it a break for now....
DrDan is a very good ophthalmologist on this site and in private practice. On JA experts review each others posts for quality and completeness and DrDan does nothing by excellent work...so have no fears about what he tells you.
It is, as always, my pleasure to help you.
Have a good evening. :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD