Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have had cataract surgery 30 years ago when I was only 39~

now I have to wear...
I have had cataract surgery 30 years ago when I was only 39~ now I have to wear a contact Lens to replace this lens that was removed~I was too young back then to get an implant~ and they don't seem to want to do it now~ I recently saw an Optomitrist and she referred me to a Specialist with very high eye pressure~that was corrected with drops and there is no glaucoma yet~ I went back to the Optomitrist today and she had ordered a new lens for my cataract eye in what you call Monthlies~the ones I had in the past were used for a couple of years or so~ are these okay and as good~she also ordered me lens for my good and right eye~ so I would not have to wear glasses for distance~they worked great~ but I could not get it out after and need more practice~ so I have to wear glasses for distance and yet am 20- 20- vision for close in the right eye~ I am far sighted in the left~I hope that she ordered the right lens for my cataract eye ~ as I never had the monthly before~I would apprecaite any advice about this~ Martha
4/8/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Martha,
From what you have posted, it sounds like you are in good hands.
Let me go over your questions in order:
1. Yes. The monthlies are just as good, as a matter of fact they are safer then the ones you used to use for a couple of years since you are replacing them more often.
2. Have you tried the little blue contact lens suction cup for the thin contact? They work great and you can use it until you get better at handling the thin contact lens.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS

I realize that I had you before~ I am glad that you agree~Plus glad I got you as you know my story~ I was very disappointed when I left the Office today~ as she made me promise not to put the right one in again until I practice more at her office~ she only works Sundays~I thought a cataract surgery lens was thicker than normal ones and yet this new one does not seem different from the normal one~she let me bring both home and I am afraid I may get them all mixed up~the old one I have is no doubt 5 years old and I was a bit surprised she had monthlies in for my cataract eye~ I am glad~ as I said~ that you feel these are as good~ for some reason I felt a bit uncomfortable with it in~ maybe because it is new~ the right one felt so good and was sorry I had such bad luck removing it a couple of weeks ago~having two would give me a more balanced vision~is the cataract one suppossed to be thicker~ years ago they seemed to be~

Martha,
Ya...I remembered too :)
You will quickly get the hang of the thinner lenses and then you will look back and wonder what all the fuss was about :)
And, as we've discusses before, I'm sure you can get a secondary IOL and get rid of the cataract contact lens....it's just a matter of finding the right eye surgeon if this is something you want to do in the future.
Don't forget to mash the excellent feedback button for me -- you know I won't abandon you ;-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

I feel rather stupid right now and yes I will mash the RIGHT button~I have a different Lens case and to me the thicker one looks like it is on the right side~I dare not try them in tonight~ but tomorrow if one I insert causes me not to see I guess common sense would tell me that they are mixed up~ but honestly one does not look much thicker than the other~I wish too I would have had the surgery~I guess I am wondering if they make them thinner now~the contact for lens replacement I mean~Martha

Martha,
Yup. If it doesn't work in the first eye...just switch :)
I have to admit that I am not that up to date on contact since I'm a retina sub specialist. If you can't see out of the new lens your optometrist probably made a mistake :(
Have a good week :)

Thanks Dr. Rick~ You look like a real sweetheart~since you are a Specialist in Retinas~ why would my sister's Doctor refer her to one~ after doing a series of needles behind her left eye~he himself was not just an Optometrist~he is referring her to another city to one like you~ she said laser was not an option with her~can anything else be done and what causes this~ my Doctor said I did not have this problem~she called it macular degeneration~ although my sister did not give it a name~ maybe it is something else~Thanks ~I can see why you would be up on contacts~ there are so many types now and the new one I have is much thinner than my old one~I guess like everything else things perhaps improve with new technology~ in fact things have changed drastically in the last 50 years in everything~I left wearing the contact she put in and could see~ so if anyone made a mistake it would be me :-) Martha~

Martha,
It sounds like your sister has bleeding under her retina. This is usually from wet age related macular degeneration. Many general ophthalmologists do not like to treat this retina problem so they send it to me.... It sounds like your sister is getting good care.
Give my best to your sister.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD