How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick Your Own Question
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11267
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a fall just over 2 month ago wich resulted as a very

This answer was rated:

I had a fall just over 2 month ago wich resulted as a very heavely bruised eye and a cut above the eye wich needed stiching.I still have swelling on the bone just above the eye lid. The broblem is the swelling now reducing the size of my eye.
Please can you tell me how I can correct this as I feel very aware about this.
thank you very much
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Is your vision affected at all?

Is it possible for you to take a picture and upload it for my review?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no my vision is not affected

it is not possible for me to send a photo


That's OK. We can work without the picture.

What I believe is happening is that you have swelling/scar tissue under the skin where your injury occurred. This will cause that area to be thicker and make your eyeball appear smaller on that side. This is very common after an injury like you had.

So. What can be done? Well, the good news is that this scar tissue will, over the course of a year or so, remodel itself and in the vast majority of cases your eye will return to looking normal.

In some cases, however, the injured area does not remodel and intervention is needed. At that point what can be done is surgery to remove the excess scar tissue. This type of surgery is usually done by either an ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon.

One other thing you should do is consult with an ophthalmologist so she can measure how much your eyeball might be recessed on that side using a special instrument called a hertel exophthalmometer. This measurement will also allow you to check in a couple of months and see how things are improving.

So. What is the take home message? At this point I suggest you see an eye doctor for a hertel measurement and, at least for the next few months, allow "tincture of time" to work and see if things get better on their own. There is a very good chance that it will :-)

Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you