Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Is there anything I can do at home (OTC) to help with a

corneal abrasion? I do not...
Is there anything I can do at home (OTC) to help with a corneal abrasion? I do not have health insurance to see an OD.
4/2/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
How did you scratch your cornea?
How long ago did it happen?
Do you were contact lenses?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Hi Dr. Rick, I do wear contact lenses. I fell asleep last night with them in and woke up this morning in pain - my eye is red and puffy, keeps tearing up and is sensitive to the light. I have had an abrasion before (not from lenses) so I'm fairly sure that is what this is. I cannot afford to see an OD so I was wondering if there is anything I can do other than not wearing lenses for a week or two. Any suggestions for OTC eye drops or home remedies would be helpful, thanks!
Hi.
I am sorry to have to tell you this...but with the history you have provided you have a very high chance of having something much more serious then a simple corneal scratch.
Falling asleep in your contacts is the number one cause of a corneal ulcer -- a condition where bacteria break through the "skin" on your cornea and start to "eat" the meat of your eye. The sensitivity to light you are experiencing, while it is also seen is a simple corneal abrasion, is also seen when an ulcer causes inflammation inside your eyeball (uveitis)
I'm going to tell you the same thing I told my daughter when she called me early one morning with the exact same issue: Get in to see an ophthalmologist right away.
A corneal ulcer, if not treated promptly, can do serious damage...up to and including complete loss of the eye :(
So. What is the take home message? Don't delay by trying to treat this at home. Get in to see an eye MD.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I’ve earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
PS: I hope it turns out to just be a scratch...but I'd not bet on it.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Oh, ya....just as an aside. My daughter did end up having a corneal ulcer, which responded very well to antibiotic eye drops.
Let me know what your ophthalmologist finds on exam today :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD