Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

16 days ago I had a vitrectomy with cryotherapy and gas

16 days ago I had...

16 days ago I had a vitrectomy with cryotherapy and gas bubble for a retinal tear. The bubble is now tiny and I can see well. I noticed since surgery some visual disturbance around the area of the cryotherapy, like kaleidoscope patterns and now I seem to have lost a small patch of peripheral vision in that area. Is this normal? I'm really worried.  I had my post op exam 5 days ago and was told that all was fine.

4/1/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retain surgeon. Are you available to chat?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

I am glad that you are able to see well at this point.

Dr. Rick :

And I can assure you that what you are experiencing is normal.

Customer:

I can see very well. It's just the blank spot thats scaring me. I'm frightened that I have anpther detachment of my retina.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like your retinal tear was fairly large and extended toward the center of your visual field.

Dr. Rick :

is this small patch of lost vision getting larger or changing in anyway?

Customer:

They didn't say how big it was. It's just a blank spot right on the periphery. I don't think it's changing. Probably now that the bubble isn't impeding my vision I can notice it more.

Dr. Rick :

That is probably correct. What you are seeing could also be from the residual amount of bubble you have in your eye.

Dr. Rick :

It is almost 7 am here in the Midwest of the USA, so isn't it around 1 pm on your side of the world?

Customer:

I can see the tiny bubble quite clearly and it's nowhere near the problem area. In the lower left corner where the blank spot is I'm aware of things moving in my vision and still sometimes getting the kaleidoscope effect.

Dr. Rick :

The area of the cryotherapy results in a patch of lost vision. If the cryo is close enough to the central part of your visual field (which it usually isn't) you might notice it.....

Customer:

Yes, it's 1pm here.

Dr. Rick :

The kaleidoscope effect is most likely from healing.......

Dr. Rick :

Ok. At least it is still during business hours.

Dr. Rick :

As a retina surgeon with two decades of experience, from what you have told me, I think everything is OK

Customer:

So what should I do. Just watch to see if it gets worse. If it stays the same can I stop worrying? Unofrtunately, not business hours as we have a public holiday today!

Dr. Rick :

That being said, the best way to know with 110% certainty is to give your surgeon a call and have her take a look at your retina this afternoon in the office. While I am sure everything will turn out to be OK, when it comes to your eye it never hurts to be positive.

Dr. Rick :

Oh ya....we do too! I forgot about that as I am in in private practice and am working today :(

Dr. Rick :

I really think you will be OK. Can you call the office? There must be someone on call and available? This would be the best way to help you sleep better tonight. :)

Dr. Rick :

I can fully understand how you are feeling......

Dr. Rick :

But, as I've said, from what you have told me here today I can say with 95% confidence that everything is OK with your retina. Of course, the only way to be completely sure is to have a look at you...which is hard to do from across the Atlantic Ocean :)

Customer:

Thanks. There is nobody there so may have to leave it until tomorrow. Don't really want to go to the ER. In this fine country you have to wait about eight hours to be seen!

Dr. Rick :

I know.....our President wants to change our health system to be more like yours :(

Dr. Rick :

Also, an ER doctor really won't have the knowledge or equipment to evaluate your eye anyway. Here in my town the GPs and I have a deal: If they don't treat eyes I won't treat heart attacks lol!

Customer:

Ours works brilliantly in places but is dreadful in others. It really is the luck of the draw. Thanks for you assurance.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, I really think you will be OK waiting until tomorrow. Try not to worry (easier said than done, I know....)

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

Thanks :)

Dr. Rick :

Take care.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Lorna,
I've just come out of the OR after doing a vitrectomy, cryotherapy and gas/fluid exchange and my thoughts turned to you.
What did your surgeon find on Tuesday? Was everything OK with your retina as we thought?
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you in the future.
Dr Rick MD FACS

Hi Dr Rick

Thanks for thinking of me. I must confess I was so scared I put off seeing my surgeon until today. He examined my eye thoroughly and there is no further tear. He says that the blind spot I have is as a result of scarring from the cryo. I know this is a permanent condition but now that I know what it is I guess I'll soon get used to it and virtually be able to ignore it.

Thanks for your help.

Lorna

Lorna,
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad to hear that your retina is still firmly attached. Let's hope my patient from yesterday has the same positive result....
And, hey! I even got the answer to your question right :) lol!
It was a pleasure to help you and I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Take care.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD