Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

A teen with 2 days eye pain upper lid and Lowe lid area,

some mild swelling, no redness...
A teen with 2 days eye pain upper lid and Lowe lid area, some mild swelling, no redness, no fever, vision okay
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2013
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Dr. Tom : Hi, I'm online now and would be happy to help you with your question. Just reply and we'll get started. Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom :

Are you available to chat about the teens' eye problem?

Customer: Yes
Dr. Tom :

Hi...let's see if we can help. Are there any other medical problems other than the swelling?

Customer: No
Customer: Pain is her main complaint
Dr. Tom :

Based on the described symptoms, the most likely cause is either a sty or an inflammation in a larger eyelid gland called a chalazion. It's probably the latter. The primary treatment for a chalazion is moist hot compresses....they usually will resolve in a day or two. But they can be painful ( personally I have had two so I can really sympathize ). Sometime more treatment is necessary if the swelling does not clear up spontaneously. Please let me know if I can answer any question that you might have thought of?

Customer: Do you know if kids this age get preseptal cellulitis? I think that is my main concern. I can't see a hordoleum or cha
Customer: Chalaza on but maybe it will show up soon
Dr. Tom :

Yes it is possible....but unlikely. And it is pretty typical for a chalazion to start out as a generalized swelling as you described. Then there is some consolidation when there can be point tenderness. You are quite right about cellulitis being something to be on alert about, but that implies an infection, and chalazia are inflammatory reactions, and usually do not become infected. Severe pain, fever and pain on eye movement could indicate cellulitis, and would warrant urgent medical evaluation. As for the present situation, were the teen my patient, I would advise an office check up if things weren't a lot better in another 24 hours. May I answer anything else?

Dr. Tom :

It appears that you have gone off line....so I'll move from our live chat to Q and A, where you can continue your questions until you are satisfied with your answer. Thanks for the opportunity to help out.

Please ask more questions about the teen's problem if you would like any more information. Thanks.

Hi, again....I'm just checking back in with you to see if you are satisfied with your answer....or if you have any more questions? Thanks.
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD
Please let me know if you are getting my replies to you.

Hi Again,

It is important that you rate my answer to you. Without your rating, Experts don't get paid anything for the time and help we provide. Please click the positive happy face. You can still ask further questions if you would like to after your rating. Thank you.

Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom
Dr. Tom, Board Certified MD