Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I m 23 ,i have been wearing glasses since I was 11 years

hello I m 23...
hello I m 23 ,i have been wearing glasses since I was 11 years old, I have 20/40 in both eyes my problem with my eyes is getting worse and worse because of this illness diagnosed as kiratokonos I cannot enjoy many things like driving ,I dream to see without using glasses becausei hate them,i want to wear contact lences oneday,how much does it cost to buy lences?but first can this virus going to increase in the future leading to blindness ?thank you so much
3/28/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

keratoconus is not caused by a virus so you have nothing to fear along those lines

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Rick :

When it comes to keratoconus there comes point in the disease for many patients where glasses are no longer able to give good enough vision to do the things you want to do.

Dr. Rick :

That being said, at this time there is a recently approved treatment, called collagen cross linking that can be used with success in many patients in helping to stop, or greatly slow down, the progression of the condition.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : keratoconus is not caused by a virus so you have nothing to fear along those lines
: thank you
Dr. Rick : When it comes to keratoconus there comes point in the disease for many patients where glasses are no longer able to give good enough vision to do the things you want to do.
Dr. Rick : That being said, at this time there is a recently approved treatment, called collagen cross linking that can be used with success in many patients in helping to stop, or greatly slow down, the progression of the condition.
Sorry about the chat system freezing up on us.
We can continue to work on your question here...
Please reply so that I know you are still there.
I will await your response.....

what is your advise to keep my eyes in this level and not getting worse

There is no exercise, diet etc that you can do at home to impact the course of your keratoconus.
I suggest you consult with a cornea specialist and see if you are a good candidate for collagen cross linking.
Also, I would be that you can be fit with special contacts (one brand is called soper lenses) and obtain good vision. One positive thing? If needed, corneal transplant is very, very successful in restoring vision in patients with severe keratoconus that doesn't respond to other treatments.
What is the take home message? There are many treatments available to you -- so don't despair :)
Here is a very good article from a very reputable source that you might find helpful:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/keratoconus/DS01116
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Please accept my apologies for the technical problems we have experienced with the chat system today.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD