Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am 63 years old, had cataract surgery on right eye (near-sighted)

I am 63 years old, had cataract surgery on right eye (near-sighted) in 2008. The lens caused flashes of light for about 2 years, but the correction is ok though I still get halos. I am scheduled for surgery on my left eye. This cataract is much larger and may need Yag surgery as well, according to new doctor. I had been hoping for monovision but was told I could either have near vision or near/intermediate. However, the latter would mean I'd have to read with one eye shut according to the doctor. The physician said I must decide in 5 minutes which lens I wanted. I said the lens for near vision, but now I'm doubting my decision and the surgeon himself. I've worn glasses since I was 8 and do not miund them I like to be able to read and watch tv without them. The physician said with near vision I may need glasses to get out of bed.

I'm confused, angry, and fed up. I understand I may not be a candidate for monovision since I've never worn contacts, but surely there's a compromise that would provide a better result. (I'm also concerned about night driving)

In addition, I had to pay the new physician $300 for special tests. It certainly wasn't for his charming informative manner. I'm beginning to feel that cataract surgery is a crap shoot depending whom you see.

So, question remains: near vs near/intermed vs near/far? The physician ordered the lens but the surgery isn't til April 10th. The first physician did a good job, gave explanations, but selected a lens (acrily sof?) that caused side effects. The second physician barely talks to you, does not explain which choice is preferred for my condition, and is already talking about post-cataract surgery. Please help!!!

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to see that you are doing such a good job of learning everything you can about your surgical options.

Dr. Rick :

But I really think you need to dump these doctors and find an ophthalmologist that you are comfortable with. This is too important of a decision to go to a doctor that doesn't help you to feel comfortable.

Dr. Rick :

Can you tell me about these "special tests" that cost $300? Were these tests done by the optometrist or the surgeon? What was done during these tests? Why did they say you needed them?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : I am glad to see that you are doing such a good job of learning everything you can about your surgical options.
Dr. Rick : But I really think you need to dump these doctors and find an ophthalmologist that you are comfortable with. This is too important of a decision to go to a doctor that doesn't help you to feel comfortable.
Dr. Rick : Can you tell me about these "special tests" that cost $300? Were these tests done by the optometrist or the surgeon? What was done during these tests? Why did they say you needed them?
Dr. Rick : I look forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your response.

1. Tests performed: unfortunately, I did not get a copy of the list of tests performed. I did note that the price included post-operative refractions and a "special" post-operative kit. The tests were performed by a technician. I was told that these tests were required by the surgeon and were non-negotiable. As I have paid for them, I am entitled to the results.

2. I am amazed that neither surgeon reviewed my records before stating what was to be done.

3. I had been interested in monovision, but doctor #2 said I was not eligible because I hadn't worn contacts. Yet I have read how other physicians have tested monovision on a candidate before surgery (through glasses or contacts).

4. I'm running out of time, since my eye is completely clouded over.

5. I fear that dr #2 will charge me for the lens even if I don't use him.

6. The only other option that I can think of is Baskin-Palmer, which is located about 1 hour from my home.

I agree that neither surgeon inspires confidence, yet both are "tops in their field".

Thanks

They can't charge you for the lens if you don't use them....

Dump this doctor.

Something doesn't smell right with their charges and setup from what you have posted. Also, you don't want to go to someone who you are not comfortable with....

Bascom Palmer is one of the best Ophthalmology Programs in the USA. You would be much, much, much better off going to them.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS