Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been diagnosed with macular degeneration, not sure

Customer Question
yet if it's dry or...
I have been diagnosed with macular degeneration, not sure yet if it's dry or wet. In addition, the eye doctor sees glaucoma. I did tests, the Zeiss Cirrus HD OCT machine and the Humphrey Visual Field (I've done some research). The Zeiss Cirrus shows a tiny volcano on my eye and the line at the back of my eye that is supposed to smooth is wavy. Also, I can see wavy lines on the Amsler grid. The lineson the Amsler grid aren't as wavy as those that are on the Internet used as examples, but I can see waviness.
After I did the Humphrey Visual Field test, the doctor diagnosed glaucoma. The doctor was suprised and I don't remember the rest of the conversation about it - I was pretty upset by the macular degeneration part.
He asked to see me a month after the diagnosis.
The macular degeneration is in one eye - is it probable that I'll get it in the other one?
The glaucoma is in both eyes - is this typical?
With the limited information I've given you, in your opinion, how long will it take to go blind?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Eye
3/8/2013
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 4 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Pearl.com

Glaucoma is a bilateral condition and usually affects both eyes though the extent of involvement might be asymmetrical. Even age related macular degeneration(ARMD) can affect both eyes though not symmetrical. It is not necessary for a person to go blind with either of the diseases. With early diagnosis and early treatment, it is possible to prevent any further deterioration of the disease. However the amount of tissue damage ( optic neuropathy in case of glaucoma) which has already occured prior to treatment is permanent. An individual would be able to have good vision inspite of glaucoma if the intraocular pressures are kept within good control with topical medication. Just for information it takes decades for complete visual loss ( very gradual progress) in case of untreated glaucoma. Since a single visual field test would not be diagnostic, your ophthalmologist would have asked you to review after a month so as to look for any signs of progress. If he does see so, then medical line of treatment would be started such as latanoprost / brimonidine eye drops , for glaucoma. As for ARMD, it can be confirmed at the next visit by OCT . If confirmed , then intravitreal avastin injections would help .

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response. An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist