Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am a 59 year old female and my vision literally changed

over nite in April 2010...
I am a 59 year old female and my vision literally changed over nite in April 2010. My eyesight had been 20/20. My vision was blurry, my eyes ached and felt irritated all the time. I had just finished a 5 week regimen of heavy prednisone due to severe hives following an allergic reaction to penicillin. After seeing an ophthalmologist I was told I had dry eye syndrome (severe case) and the beginning of cataracts. In spite of my inquiry, I was told my cataracts were not prednisone -related. I asked if they could be removed and was told they needed "to ripen".Since then my eyesight has become substantially worse (more blurry). Fish oil and theratears help with the dry eye. On my last visit I requested again to have my cataracts removed. They said that they could not remove them until my eyesight was no longer correctable. I now wear glasses round the clock and am "blind" without them. I suspect they will not remove the cataracts as I have government-assisted healthcare.
Please advise. Thank you!
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2013
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Welcome to Pearl.com
It is indeed unfortunate that you were sent back inspite of having cataracts. A short course of steroids for 5 weeks would not have caused cataracts or sudden blurring of vision. Severe dry eyes could have could have caused the blurring . Continue using the lubricating eyedrops for the dry eyes. As for the presence of cataracts, it can be operated earlier too. Wih modern technology there is no need to wait for the cataracts to ripen. I guess you can request your ophthalmologist to accomodate your surgery for an early date so that you can get better quality of vision.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question. Experts are credited only if a positive rating is given and not otherwise. So do remember to give your rating. A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.
An excellent feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated. Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist