Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am interested in lightening my eyes without any form of

surgery or contacts and actually...
I am interested in lightening my eyes without any form of surgery or contacts and actually I recently tried a week long use of a homemade honey and water eye drop formula. I quit at the end of the week because my eyes hurt a little and my doctor said my epithelial cells were "stained" (which he said is minor and nothing to worry about). But I am determined to lighten my eyes and recently I came across two eye drop products that I want to get your opinion on.
1. MSM and AA Eye Drops
Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) and Alpha Arbutin (AA) eye drops (see here: http://www.isis-cosmeceuticals.com/irislightener.htm). This seems to be the most potent formula, but there could be side effects. I'm not sure if MSM is used in eye drops currently, and I think AA is used in skin lightening creams.
2. Honey and Chamomile Tea Eye Drops
This is a more "natural" eye drop formula see here: http://www.isis-cosmeceuticals.com/chamhoneydrops.htm) and it seems like the side effects could be less.
What is your opinion on lightening eyes; would it be safe to try these products for a limited time? I'm pretty sure infection is a risk, but is there a possibility of me going blind after using any of these products for a short time (1-2 months).
Also, do these substances penetrate the membrane of the eye?
Thanks for your time!
3/4/2013
eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
eyesight2020 :

eyesight2020 :

At the present time ,there are no over the counter or prescribed products that will lighten the color of your eyes other then colored contacts.

Customer:

Okay, but say I did hypothetically take either one of these products, would it be harmful to the health of my eye?

eyesight2020 :

I beleive these products available online would irritate your eyes more than anything else and would advise not trying them .

Customer:

Irritation as in discomfort? Or more than that?

eyesight2020 :

The best thing would be for you to discuss this issue with your eye doctor and follow your eye doctor's advice.

Customer:

Okay - just one more quick question then. So, if I did use one of these products for a short period of a month, is there any permanent damage that could be done to my eye?

Customer:

I guess what I'm getting at is usually with antibiotics or any form of drug, moderation and short term use usually don't have permanent side effects

Customer:

If you don't have any insight on this - that's okay too, I'll contact my doctor

eyesight2020 :

lost connection give me a second

Customer:

No problem

eyesight2020 :

As an optometrist,who does not approve use of these drops since I do not beleive thes products work I would not recommend even investing the money in these drops

Customer:

Okay

eyesight2020 :

In stead contacts would be a better choice even though you do not want to try them

Customer:

If I tried these eye drops, what is the worst case scenario?

Customer:

I know you're advising against them, but I just want your opinion on what the worst could happen in a month or two months

eyesight2020 :

There are many nice light colors provided by freshlook coloblends that you may actually like.

eyesight2020 :

Freshlook has many nice colors you could try

eyesight2020 :

Any other questions

Customer:

Worst case scenario for using eye drops?

Customer:

Would it be infection?

Customer:

that's my final question

eyesight2020 :

The answers provided here are for information purposes and do not substitute a visisit with your eye doctor.For example MSM can cause inflammation of your eyes, so as I mentioned I would not recommend using these drops and follow up with your eye doctor

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thanks!

eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist
Thank you for your rating and good luck to you
HAVE A GOOD DAY
eyesight2020
eyesight2020
eyesight2020, Optometrist