Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Over five years ago I started experiencing extreme eye pain.

I have been to over...
Over five years ago I started experiencing extreme eye pain. I have been to over a dozen eye doctors and none of them agreed on the cause nor have been able to diagnosis the problem. The only doctor that came close suggested that I have a focusing problem that was caused by wearing the wrong prescription for so many years caused my eye muscles to "freeze" and now no prescription works and causes severe eye strain - no pain medicine helps. I am in extreme pain all the time.
3/3/2013
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

First of all, I have to disagree with the doctor who told you that you " have a focusing problem that was caused by wearing the wrong prescription for so many years caused my eye muscles to "freeze" and now no prescription works"

Dr. Rick :

This makes no physiologic sense at all......

Dr. Rick :

Tell me more about the specifics of your eye pain......

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : First of all, I have to disagree with the doctor who told you that you " have a focusing problem that was caused by wearing the wrong prescription for so many years caused my eye muscles to "freeze" and now no prescription works"
Dr. Rick : This makes no physiologic sense at all......
Dr. Rick : Tell me more about the specifics of your eye pain......
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Actually, last time you posted this issues, I did not get a chance to chat with you and, as such, was only able to guess that your issue may be dry eye. You did not give me positive feedback on that thread....
I think it is important that we discuss your condition back and forth so that I can better understand what it is you are looking for....

How do I view your anwers? Do I have to open a new email each time?

No. We can communicate back and forth right here. Just reply to me and I will do the same to you. Here is what I typed before, just in case it didn't come through:
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
I look forward to your response...

Did you my reply with specifics about my eye pain?

No. Darn it!
The chat system is messing up today....if you wouldn't mind, could you copy/paste it here again for me? It should come through on this, the Q&A, format.
Sorry :(

This pain started with a stabbing pain in only my right eye; the dr said it wasn't serious. Then I started having extreme eye strain pain; the drs. gave me steroid drops, which helped but the pain would come back sooner and stronger everytime. I have had over a dozen different rxs for glasses - everytime it seems like my eyes are trying to adjust but in a couple of weeks, my vision gets blurry and then the pain comes back. My eyes are also bloodshot all the time. I have had eye duct plugs for dry eyes, but when the drs test my eyes for dryness they say I do not have dry eyes. This has been going on for so many years, I might have missed something. I don't understand why they drs can't get the prescription or why my eyes can't adjust to any prescription and the pain is unbearable. My current eye dr says he thinks I need to see a neurologist who specializes in eyes. Maybe you could ask me more specific questions and that would help me remember everything that has occurred.

Thank you for that extra information.
I do not believe that your eye pain is due to your eye glass prescription or your eyes inability to adjust to your glasses etc. That really would not cause the extreme eye pain you are experiencing.
Have you ever had an ophthalmologist (eye MD)mention anything about something called narrow angles or narrow angle glaucoma?

No.

From what you have posted, that would be something I'd suggest you ask your eye MD to check. It is an easy thing to do, takes just a few minutes and is painless.
The other think you might consider, especially after all you have been through, is consulting with a large University Ophthalmology Department.
At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
If you could tell me what large city you live near and how far it would be possible for you to travel in seeking treatment I would be happy to give you some names. Of course, you could also ask friends and associates or check the internet yourself. Let me know what you would like to do.

just one other thing - I'm not sure you got my reply but i have this rash on my face that some of the eye drs. think is rosacea but even the dermatologists don't agree. Are there eye conditions that have face rashes as symptoms?

I did get your reply. This system is working well for us to talk to each other, even though it is a bit slow...
Ocular rosacea, of course, is a condition that affects the eyes and has a rash. Lupus is another.
Many times rosacea is hard to diagnose. The good news? Doxycycline is very effective, either as a pill or a cream, for this issue. You might want to just try treatment and see if you feel better.
Is there anything else you would like to discuss at this point or have all your questions been answered to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD