Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have slight far-sightedness and an astigmatism (R +1.25

I have slight far-sightedness and an astigmatism (R +1.25 -0.50 90 and L +1.00 -0.25 90). Ever since I was a child this problem has interfered with my ability to draw and paint (my most cherished hobbies) as my vision goes blurry after a few minutes of close-work. I have, over the years, had glasses but find that wearing them causes me to be nauseated and have rather painful feelings of eyestrain (and thus rarely wore them). This problem has intensified lately as I have more time to dedicate to painting. I find that after wearing my glasses (new prescription) for this purpose for .5 to 2 hours, I have painful eyestrain that can last for up to two days. I only wear my glasses for this activity - should I be wearing them all the time? Does this eye strain (despite wearing glasses) mean that I need to reduce the time spent doing close-work to avoid eye damage?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have 20/20 vision in both eyes with the glasses on?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You do have a significant refractive error for which you need to wear glasses constantly.

Customer:

Hello, I am not entirely sure of my answer to these two questions (I only have the prescription that I was given for the glasses I use for my artwork). I do, however, not have or wear glasses for everyday use. I see clearly in most situations. Only when I am doing my artwork is my vision a problem.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

One needs to wear t he glasses to get adjusted to them. Initial discomfort is expected for the first 2 to 3 weeks . With each day you can gradually increase the duration of wearing the glasses. In hypermetropia, near vision is always more blurred than distance . That is why you face difficulty during your painting sessions which requires constant close vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If glasses cause you a lot of discomfort, you can en consider wearing contact lenses.

Customer:

Yes, that makes sense. For the next few weeks, would you recommend wearing them (with gradual daily increase) even during times when I am not doing close work (reading, computer, art)? Also, shall I start for an hour or two a day, working up to wearing them all day after a few weeks, or working up to a few hours a day, maximum? If it were up to me, I would paint about 4 hours a day, so that is my estimated maximum usage.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, a gradual increase in duration would help you to adapt better. You can continue to wear glasses even while doing oher near or distance work. Since you are stepping into the forties, you may require a near addiion too.

Customer:

Thank you kindly. This helps. I thought this may be the case (needing to get used to them) but was worried the eye strain was not normal or that I would be doing damage by wearing the glasses for more than just artwork. My prescription is new, so I will stick with it and try gradually increasing my use of the glasses over the next few weeks. I do not have any other questions. Thank you very much.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the meanwhile start putting OTC preservative free lubricating eyedrops suh as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day for a month.

Customer:

OK, I will do that.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

This helps to replenish or supplement the tearfilm which keeps getting broken with contant staring as occurs while doing any kind of near work.

Customer:

I did not know that. I wish I had this info years ago!!