How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have bumps on the parts of my eyes. What can i use to get

This answer was rated:

Hello Doc , I have bumps on the white parts of my eyes . What can i use to get rid of them or get them removed possible ?
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are these whitish, gel-like, clear bumps, or are they yellowish/brownish bumps near the colored part of the eyes?

Doctor DanB : If they are clear, they are likely conjunctival cysts. A cyst is where the tissues of the body form a protective layer if cells (and usually fluid) around a local irritant to seal it off. In the care of conjunctival cysts the irritant can be anything from a foreign-body to an eyelash or just some inflammation in the eyelids. These are very common and aside from leading to a foreign-body sensation, they usually do not cause significant problems. They usually will resolve in their own in 1-4 weeks but have been known to take shorter or longer to resolve on occasion. Because complete and total excision (not just draining then) is the only way to get them to resolve proactively and completely, these are usually not opened up by an eye doctor but allowed to resolve spontaneously.In the meantime, using artificial tears 3-4x/day can help with any irritation caused by these as will using cool compresses.
Doctor DanB : If they are yellowish/whitish spots on the eyes, they likely represent a pingueculum (pinguecula is plural). These are areas of the thin, transparent skin (conjunctiva) which is over the tough, white part of the eye (sclera) that have bunched together and therefore can look raised and change in color. These are usually brought about by UV exposure (sunlight), but sometimes they are just hereditary and people can have them even if they haven't had a significant exposure to UV light over their lifetime.These spots generally lie at the edge of the white and colored parts of the eyes. Sometimes they can become inflamed and need some anti-inflammatory drops to calm down the inflammation, but for the most part they are generally innocuous. On occasion can flatten out and spread over the cornea and it is then called a pterygium. These are also generally innocuous, but can sometimes be very irritating and can affect the vision either by growing in front of the vision or changing the shape of the eye and therefore the need for glasses.
Doctor DanB : Does this make sense? Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other questions about this? It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns when I return to see if you've responded. If your concerns have been resolved... Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback (by pressing the smiley face); any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well doc , I'm not happy with results because I knew thact and you didn't give me a remedy to my problem . What you prescribed is something I'm already using to tackle the problem . You didn't give me know new solution than I already knew ... When you asked in my initial question to you what am I'm using I state "systanse" which is artificial tear drops , which is piggy backing off what I already knew ! I'm sure your knowledge is more extensive than mine that's why I seeked help... If you can't provide a solution to my problem then I would like a full refund ! I been using that product for months and the results are the same although my eyes feels better the bumps remains...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They are yellowish brown near the color and the bumps stick out . I noticed them last summer and tried numerous of things to tackle the problem murine , clear eyes and the latest systane before I seeked your help...
I'm sorry that my advice seemed so simple, though I wasn't able to chat with you initially and wasnt able to get morr information from you. Are these clear whitish bumps or yellowish bumps near the colored part of the eye?
Okay. I are you answered my question as I was typing it. These are likely the pinguecula I was referring to. Unfortunately, surgical removal is the only permanent solution for these. There is no medicinal treatment that will make these go away.
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Doc thanks , can you referr me to an eye doctor than can perform this kind of surgery ? How much does this procedure cost ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
surgery is always the last result in any measure. Is that the only course of measure that can token at this point ? And if so can you provide me with imfortion with a physician that can perform this procedure ...

Unfortunately, the cost for the procedure is going to vary depending on whether you use your health insurance to cover it, and if you don't where and in what type of facility you get the surgery done in. I would imagine though, if you're paying out of pocket, in an ambulatory surgery center setting, it would cost maybe $1500 per eye (very rough estimate).

Where do you live (city and state) and I can send you some names?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I stay in Southfield , Michgan...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is very high for what seems to be a simple out patient precedure... I would be funding this matter myself .
I can understand stocker shock. However, I can assure you that when it comes to eye surgery, very little is actually simple. This total, however, would include the surgeon's fee, anesthesiology, and a surgery center fee (these components are quite standard). But remember however, that is a very rough estimate so asking the surgeons in your area is going to get you the best answer. I'll look for surgeons in your area and get you some names shortly.
When I did a search there were more docs than I could logically spend time typing out all their information for. Therefore, I'll give you the same way to look this information that I did. Go to this link:
Under the subspecialty drop-down menu, choose "Comprehensive Ophth", put your city and state in the blanks and I chose a 5 mile radius--you can leave everything else blank. I saw at least 10 docs in your area that can do this surgery.
I hope that's been helpful.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thank you , I would appreciate that !

Were you able to follow those instructions I gave you to find that list of doctors?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Doc , you have been very patient and helpful !
Perfect. I'm glad to be of help. Take care and I'd be happy to help you again in the future should you need it.